i am often struck by an apparent contradiction re preventing disease spread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting, thanks all

i bought a good number of a small hive tool i like and leave them with the hives....i change gloves between my two apiaries and move brood frames between hives within an apiary but rarely between...although one is an out apiary so clearly it receives splits and nucs from the other! I dont record which supers came from which hives or apiaries and currently these do get mixed (should probably change this)

appreciate the thoughts and suggestions
Follow the same principle each apiary is in itself a site. Stuff moves between hives at an Apiary, separate equipment for each I am luck though and run an advanced sentinel apiary so get three Bee Inspections a year.

Follow the same principle each apiary is in itself a site. Stuff moves between hives at an Apiary, separate equipment for each I am luck though and run an advanced sentinel apiary so get three Bee Inspections a year.
Is your apiary the one at Fairoaks, Polymath?

There are different levels of hygiene.
Hive level.
Apiary level.
Own colony level.
And none.

Hive level is basically nothing goes into or onto the hive other than what has come from it, supers and all other kit is kept for that hive and hive tool and gloves are cleaned or replaced between all hive inspections.

Apiary level.
Everything stays in the apiary but things can be swapped between colonies, brood, supers gloves and hive tool are used on all the colonies in that apairy. Supers are labelled with the apiary name or number.

Own colony level is basically you use any kit on any colony you own. Brood etc can be swapped anywhere. Supers don't need labelling.

Ofc it all goes out the window when an emergency happens or people run low on kit.

I have a bucket of hive tools soaking in soda solution in the van and swap hive tools and wash gloves according to my hygiene level.
I won't allow visitors to use their own tools or equipment at any apiary and dirty bee suits are a big no.
If I visit another apiary then I use a different bee suit and gloves and the suit is washed and the gloves thrown away.
Any swarms are taken to an isolation apiary until brood can be inspected.

I have visited training apiaries where the same hive tool is used for all colonies and the beginners have turned up in minging leather gloves and bee suits covered in propolis etc from their own hives with no provision for washing anything on site, not even a bucket with soda solution in.
I have no problem sending people away that turn up in dirty suits or wearing dirty gloves. I will not allow nitrile over leather as the bees generally gather at the wrist area.
Although I keep bees close to a foulbrood triangle I have never had it.

The one thing people forget to clean is their pen/pencil, it gets used to make notes and goes from apiary to apiary getting stickier by the visit.

The one thing people forget to clean is their pen/pencil, it gets used to make notes and goes from apiary to apiary getting stickier by the visit.
I have a clipboard at each apiary that has the notes for the hives AND a pencil tied to it with a bit of string. Saves searching for a pencil all the time. ( I should have nicked the chains as well as the pens when banks secured them 😂)

Please don’t underestimate the risks of cross contamination and overestimate your ability to spot EFB in its early stages. I know of one Beekeeper who seemingly harboured (and nurtured?) EFB for a number of years and spread it across several of his apiaries over a large geographical area.
it doesn’t take much to wash your hive tool and use disposable gloves. Why would anyone risk it?
Do you use same cutlery for the whole family and not worry about washing it between meals?

Please don’t underestimate the risks of cross contamination and overestimate your ability to spot EFB in its early stages. I know of one Beekeeper who seemingly harboured (and nurtured?) EFB for a number of years and spread it across several of his apiaries over a large geographical area.
it doesn’t take much to wash your hive tool and use disposable gloves. Why would anyone risk it?
Do you use same cutlery for the whole family and not worry about washing it between meals?

Twenty plus years ago when my MIL stayed with us, we had dedicated cups, mugs and cutlery for her use only to avoid her catching any potential diseases from the rest of the family. It worked : she died of old age.

It is indeed, i also have on Horsell Common and opposite Mclarens in the sports ground
I got chatting to a previous SBI about the fact there was one at Fairoaks. Nice area on Horsell common too.

Latest posts

Back