I admit to murdering bees - Do you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last weeks visit to the apiary we housed a swarm. During this exercise we found a number of bees had entered Linn's suit and a jacket I had lent to the farmer's son. It was sadly easist to simply squish them in the suit than try and remove the clothing and bees without incurring head stings.
It was also the easiest way to keep the farmer's son calm.

No-one likes to do it but you know sometimes it just simplifies things.

Sam

Are there many wasps around your area?

Only seen the odd one.....as yet. Big plum tree nearby though.....

I absoultely hate the sound of a bee being crushed under a brood or super when i put it down

It's a rather unpleasant crunch isn't it?!

I squish bees regularly and usually through my own hamfistedness if that is a word. I am trying to be gentle and encourage them out of the way but it is not always possible. Followers always get squished but I have three new 2011 queens now and the following seems to have stopped. Fingers crossed.

Bees yes, can't help flattening a few when putting the hive back together.

Plus chickens, geese, turkeys, sick pigs and sheep. That's just how it is when you farm live stock !!!

Brian

I almost cried on my first inspection, i actually find them quite sweet/cute. I was putting a frame or something back when one of them raised her head up to have a look, and plonk i beheaded her and it rolled on the floor! :'-(

I'll forever feel the guilt of my first beheading.

Having been brought up in the country, and making money by snaring rabbits, I admit that killing a few bees by accident (which I try to avoid) does not concern me.

But If I injure them I try to kill them asap.

As far as deliberate killing - of anything (or anyone ) - I gave that up some 12 years ago..:seeya:

As far as deliberate killing - of anything (or anyone )

Aha. 'Demobbed' and became a vegetarian in the same year? :):)

RAB

As far as deliberate killing - of anything (or anyone )

Aha. 'Demobbed' and became a vegetarian in the same year? :):)

RAB

Definitely not...I gave up being a serial killer and still eat meat and keep up with the cereals.

Bees yes, can't help flattening a few when putting the hive back together.

Plus chickens, geese, turkeys, sick pigs and sheep. That's just how it is when you farm live stock !!!

Brian

Must be a crowded beehive!!
Haven't you got any other buildings you could keep your poultry and livestock in
:D

viridens

One of my colonies is turning out to be nasty - when I inspected this pm I got 3 stings on my ankles.... and then at least five 'followed' me for 30ft after I'd closed up.

What;s worse is that an hour later after I'd taken the beesuit off and went back, one came out and buzzed around my face.

The weather was reasonable so if it happens next week I'll re-queen. There is no need to live with unfriendly bees

richard

Do the hives face where you walking from?

No, they're in a secluded arbor... but my point is that it's been about ten years since i had a colony that buzzed around my face for a long time after closing up - and also went down to ground level to sting through my socks.

The fact that they came looking for aggro after an hour is their metaphorical death sentence! Hopefully re-queening will produce 'nicer' bees.

Wonder where you got your bees....someone out to get you??!!

Probably just the result of my virgin mating with a drone from downtown Brixton

Latest posts

Back