I admit to murdering bees - Do you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
I carried out an inspection on my busiest hive 3 days ago. While I was minding my own business walking in the garden today I was targeted by 3 little buzzers who had clearly not forgotten. They were literally right in my face, pinging off my arms and keen to get into my hair or whatever to sting. They were ruining my peace of mind and enjoyment of the day, so I clapped each one out of the air, and ground them underfoot to finish the job. This is not the first time I have done this...

Am I the only beeherder to do such a thing? :reddevil:

No and requeening will occur, no followers, no attackers, no prisoners!

You say you have six colonies in your garden, of course you're going to get stung.

Wrong. I spend a lot of time in my garden which is within 50 ft of now 7 hives. I expect the odd sting whilst checking through them, but don't usually (and don't expect to) have a a problem when just walking sitting and contemplating in MY garden. Maybe your bees are more agressive than mine?

At one point last year I had eight in the garden and walked between them most days (and often several times a day); they were little more than a metre away (they were on both sides) and I did not get stung all year. The situation was not the same this year.

I was wondering how someone could tell you have all your bees in your garden. I could not see that mentioned...

RAB

One in six is about 17%. With six colonies I might reasonably expect there would be an out apiary (probability-wise). That could depend on so many factors though, so I would not have assumed that automatically.

RAB

I carried out an inspection on my busiest hive 3 days ago. While I was minding my own business walking in the garden today I was targeted by 3 little buzzers who had clearly not forgotten. They were literally right in my face, pinging off my arms and keen to get into my hair or whatever to sting. They were ruining my peace of mind and enjoyment of the day, so I clapped each one out of the air, and ground them underfoot to finish the job. This is not the first time I have done this...

Am I the only beeherder to do such a thing? :reddevil:

Yes every time I go out for a blast on the R1 I kill lots of bees and other insects and have to clean them off afterwards.:nopity:

When inspecting my grumpy colony I expect a certain amount of aggro, and thats fair enough to my mind, its what they do, even if I don't like it.

However, if any follow me for over 30 yards they feel the force of my wasp zapper :smash::smash::smash:- figure that if they sting me they die anyway, and this way I dont participate in the pain!

Oh, and committed regicide a couple of times:Angel_anim:.

Killed my first bee yesterday - knowingly that is - it was crawling around outside the hive with no abdomen :confused: so I put it out of its misery.

Doesnt killing them attract more? I know that it's usual for me to either not be stung at all or to get stung 2 or 3 times.

Nope - I don't. There are usually other means - isolate self in car for example. Wanton killing of bees seems likely to just invite more trouble through pheromones. I figure that if I have just been through their precious abode and wound them up enough, I could expect a follower or two. However, serious grief would warrant requeening.

Killed my first bee yesterday - knowingly that is - it was crawling around outside the hive with no abdomen :confused: so I put it out of its misery.

I am so soft, I've only just been able to do this myself. I used to just make eeking noises and point at any half bees with my hive tool for my mentor to put out of thier misery lol. I'm able to do it myself now though. I am becoming more of a proper beekeeper by the day :)

You say; <...but don't usually (and don't expect to) have a a problem when just walking sitting and contemplating in MY garden.>

Yet you said in your opening post; <This is not the first time I have done this...>

Which is it?

You say; <...but don't usually (and don't expect to) have a a problem when just walking sitting and contemplating in MY garden.>

Yet you said in your opening post; <This is not the first time I have done this...>

Which is it?
It's quite simple really.
I don't usually have the problem. When I do, I murder the offending bees, then I don't have the problem.

P.S. Do I detect a hint of hostility? ;)

<P.S. Do I detect a hint of hostility? >

No, but you put in the rider 'Perhaps your bees are aggressive' or some such. I'm not the one complaining about my bees.

And yes, there are occassions they can be a tad techy, but this is allowed once I understand why.

You murder away!

I absoultely hate the sound of a bee being crushed under a brood or super when i put it down, or the crown board. Makes me a sad panda

Latest posts

Back