HyfeGate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNir

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-15
Not sure if this was posted already or not. heard about it for the first time myself.
Theory behind it seems logical. Videos at the bottom of the page looks promising.
I don’t have problems with wasps, but I know some do. Wondering if anyone used this already and general thoughts?

https://beeiq.solutions/hyfe-gate/

I can see the theory. Looks like a way of turning a normal entrance into something like JBMs underfloor entrance.

You could just as easy use a bit of electrical conduit - much cheaper!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMIN3.html

It might be cheaper but it isn't an identical solution. The Hyfegate claims to put the entrance under the cluster, thus triggering a more aggressive defensive response. Conduit can never do that. Which option is more effective is another question and not one I know the answer to.

It might be cheaper but it isn't an identical solution. The Hyfegate claims to put the entrance under the cluster, thus triggering a more aggressive defensive response. Conduit can never do that. Which option is more effective is another question and not one I know the answer to.
I think you could certainly put the correct length of conduit to get the end under the cluster but the conduit I quoted might be too high and not wide enough for guards to defend.

Pretty close Dani, although his doesn't go as far back as the cluster I would guess

Speaking of... where is Millet? Not seen in quite some time now.
Same place as his mate Thymolarse, Beefriendly or whatever ...you can find him on the BBKA forum under Steve 1972 ... along with 9 other people on line at present ... compared to 280 on here ... that probably tells you something ! Sorry - 7 including NigelP...

I think you could certainly put the correct length of conduit to get the end under the cluster but the conduit I quoted might be too high and not wide enough for guards to defend.
I used conduit inserted to reach under the centre of the hive last year and it worked really well. I used the oval profile conduit not the rectangular stuff.

I used conduit inserted to reach under the centre of the hive last year and it worked really well. I used the oval profile conduit not the rectangular stuff.
The reason I suggested the rectangular section was it's easy to have the removable top section shorter to emulate the internal end of the Hyfegate.

Latest posts

Back