Hurrah for Thorne's - they still sell generic oxalic acid crystals!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose there is always 'crowd funding' ? If somebody started a crowd-funding campaign to get oxalic acid crystals registered as a treatment and was planning to supply them for a reasonable price to beekeepers, I would actually put some money in.

We at the BBKA can only act where we have solid advice. Anyone out there that seems to know about this? - If so can you contact me so that we can begin to progress this please...

The suggestion I made at another place was this:-

" was for the BBKA to pay to have unadulterated crystals approved. The cost - if shared amongst BBKA members would be minimal. Would £1 each from 20,000 members be enough? It could always be branded BBKA Oxalic and sold either through the BBKA website or through the usual beekeeping suppliers to make a small profit or to recover the costs of licencing, over time".

We at the BBKA can only act where we have solid advice. Anyone out there that seems to know about this? - If so can you contact me so that we can begin to progress this please...

The" man down the pub" says most beekeepers are not going to dig deep in their pockets for the apparently extortionate price being charged for the "licenced" product.... however much it is explained away to cover the governments massive fee charged to allow the manufacturers to monopolise a once cheap and easily obtainable and effective bee medicine.

If the BBKA would take issue with the Government over this monopoly on OA and allow beekeepers to use the generic and cheap product to treat Varroa, I am sure it would be a good publicity move.

Simoncav... you could test the water on this forum by posting a poll.....

Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic Acid by beekeepers in the fight against Varroa?

Myttin da

then this would bring us back to the Petition I guess.

There is probably not enough beekeepers to make the petition worthwhile - and a poor petition response will do more harm than good.