How to?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdixon520

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,

Just wondering does anyone know how you convert this poly nuc from national to langstruth. I understand that to convert it from deep national to national 14 x 12 you use the eke.

www(dot)parkbeekeeping(dot)com/products/detail/3in1-poly-nucleas

sorry about the use of (dot) instead of . but wont let me post link otherwise

Cheers

IIRC there is a poly block that slides vertically in/out on each side of the brood box. Apart from the mere shape of the frames, Langstroth has short lugs - so it needs short ledges for the frames to sit on.

I had one, and sold it on without using it, because I didn't like it.
The poly is pretty soft, and Park paint them externally in strong but strange textured masonry paint, in odd colours.
But you still have soft poly inside.
And they mould castellation-like cups for the frame lugs.
The feeder is quite nice, if long and shallow - requiring the thing to be quite accurately level.
The removable floor is a nice idea, but it wouldn't be possible to stack the things 2-high (for combining or frame format change) without leaving a gaping hole at the back.

I think my Park extractor is great, but this 3 in 1 nuc ... not good enough.

I saw at the recent Stoneleigh event that Th0rnes were also now selling a convertible poly nuc box. A notable departure from their wooden box history. From their web site and descriptions of the 6 formats, the conversion might be more obvious than the one Park illustration. To change these boxes between formats they use a variety of feeders at one end, frame lug packing blocks or ekes in a variety of sizes to accommodate the different frames.

What struck me looking at the thing on the bench was: neat design, but is there really a market for these? How many beekeepers choose to run several hive types and would really need to repeatedly convert one box between sizes? That's if conversion bits are sold, and they're not listed separately as it stands. Even if you had a number of, say, National and Langstroth hives it's probably easier and cheaper to use several boxes, each dedicated to one format.

I can see that for Commercial frame users conversions could be their only choice in a poly nuc. I can also see they are attractive to manufacture, one box that converts to different formats and I can see that it's a clever design. But I can't help thinking making these boxes is driven by the practicalities and novelty of making them, not the needs of beekeepers.

IIRC there is a poly block that slides vertically in/out on each side of the brood box.

Yes....you're right of course. I was working from memory. Mice chewed through the floor of mine. I never replaced it.

Latest posts

Back