How to store Honey Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I decided to try plastic honey frames to no avail. After several weeks the only thing the bees had put in them was Pollen. I took them off and put into the freezer.
Question 1 can I now store them in plastic boxes or what would you recommend.
Question 2 My friend gave me 2 frames to replace the plastic frames. She had extracted & had 2 that weren't all capped mixture of capped and nectar, I checked the hive a week later. The 2 frames completely empty why ?
Thanks

Did you wax the plastic frames to encourage them to draw out? If they are not ready to store a surplus, then your frames will remain empty.
The bees needed those stores if there is a dearth or the weather is bad

The plastic frames will be fine in the freezer and the pollen will be useful when the bees have none.
I would have left the pollen for the bees, though
The bees needed the honey do they ate it

Do your bees have any stores? Sounds to me like they are hungry. If they have no stores at all then you will have no honey this year and they need feeding a mixture of 1 part sugar to 1 part water. May need doing quite urgently.
E

i run rite cell and have had no issues but if you use a mixture of foundation and plastic the bees will avoid the plastic frames.

Thanks to all, I forgot to say I prepared the frames to encourage them to draw out. The weather here is super 30-35c as regards there is no shortage of pollen or stores. They only emptied these 2 frames they still haven't touched the original frames which are to be extracted.

i run rite cell and have had no issues but if you use a mixture of foundation and plastic the bees will avoid the plastic frames.

I've heard people say this before, but it's only just occurred to me, you mean the entire Hive has to be one or the other, right, not just the box or box type?

I want to try Plastic, but thought I could just use them only on my supers, and allow the bees to either draw their own comb in the brood or stay with wax foundation - I'm toying with the idea of trying to combine a more natural method in the Broods with a more efficient method in the Supers; but I think I've only just realized, it's either all plastic (waxed) foundation or only wax foundation, NOT both in the same Hive. Have I now understood it correctly?

Latest posts

Back