How to stop the spread?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Import resistant queens and teach selective breeding toward resistance. Of course.

e

drones do pass the immunity not Q , if anything is for selective breeding , drones is

Q is for non selective raise, like when bad

... and the horse ll drink

Australian and New Zealand: 'let's stop all imports of people until we have raised resistance (the COVID).'

It mostly worked. There was no horrific collapse. Things are now back to normal.

Raising resistance is simply the immunological approach to solving a disease problem. It can be done in a scientific, carefully controlled way. It seems dumb not to be at least considering it.

That must be utterly heartbreaking for some of the beekeepers involved :(

James
and too little too late I think.
Better to bite the bullet now and look at ways to control and live with it. Not just stick heads in the sand and think this drastic action is the answer.

and too little too late I think.
Better to bite the bullet now and look at ways to control and live with it. Not just stick heads in the sand and think this drastic action is the answer.
Not quite the case they’ve managed to stop varroa twice before. There’ll also be state restrictions on cross border movements western Aus is almost a separate country😂 and it would be some time before it reached there.

Here’s an interesting link to The Purple Project, ironically pre-varroa appearance in Australia 2022.

The Artificial intelligence hive. Automated varroa mite surveillance in Australia.

Hmmm. There's stuff in there that makes me wonder...

Initially, the comment about using purple because bees can see into the ultra-violet. Just because they can see in ultra-violet means nothing in respect of how they respond to purple as opposed to, say, green or blue. I don't get that at all.

I also wonder how many mites actually leave the hive on bees thereby enabling the system to count them. Clearly some do, but I look for mites on every foraging bee I see and I've never seen one. I've seen them on bees in swarms, but never on a forager. So are they common enough to give a meaningful result? It makes me realise that there's a bit of the process I don't understand. If a forager carries a mite back to a hive, how does the mite make it into a cell to reproduce? Does it climb off and wander around to find the brood? Generally I thought foragers didn't really get involved with the brood directly.

The idea of segregating incoming bees that have mites is an interesting one and I can see how that might be done, but will it genuinely help? Surely all it takes is the failure to detect a single mite and the hive is "infected" though you may not know about it until weeks later?

James

how does the mite make it into a cell to reproduce? Does it climb off and wander around to find the brood? Generally I thought foragers didn't really get involved with the brood directly.
They hop onto another bee to hitch a ride. Foragers after all pass nectar to house bees

They hop onto another bee to hitch a ride. Foragers after all pass nectar to house bees
And I believe varroa have be observed dropping of a forager onto a flower then hitching a lift on the next visitor.

It surprises me that NZ managed to import varroa given the bio-hazard measures I saw as a tourist 10? 15? years ago.
There is dark conversation amongst NZ beeks about an un-named scoundrel who illegally imported a few bees. I don't know if it was simply a Queen or a package...

Latest posts

Back