How to convert wax block to usable foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat solution! I used a mould made from a silicone trivet. It produces hexagonal pellets.

View attachment 22962View attachment 22963
Please forgive my ignorance.... why hexagonal pellets ? Purpose?

I would have thought little round ones you could shoot out of an air rifle.... But seriously,, and with all due respect,, What am I missing?

My wife makes beeswax food wraps, like Elaine. Pellets of wax, or thin flakes are ideal for the process of ironing the wax into the fabric.

Flat sheets of wax will be re-worked into comb, especially if they are thin sheets. Bees generally do better if given starter strips and let them do the rest. Caveat that you will have a LOT of drone comb with this method. Some problems can occur determined by the spacing of the combs. I run 31.5 mm comb spacing which only works with full sheets of worker size cell foundation. With Dadant 1.5 inch spacing, there should be few problems.

My wife makes beeswax food wraps, like Elaine. Pellets of wax, or thin flakes are ideal for the process of ironing the wax into the fabric.
Thanks for reply,,,,, However! This confused me even more, especially after reading ironing into fabric.... ??? a wrap ironed in fabric?
Then I googled bees wax food wrap///// never heard of it until now.....
I thought you guy were............... never mind ! Just sounds kinda crazy now....

So if I understand this correctly, people wrap food up in wax "infused" cloth to keep it fresh...... Bees wax infused fabric. ?
do you guys not have Jiffy Bags or cling wrap?
I just turn another plate upside down and stick it on top - keep the flies off and all.. :)
Learn something every day on this forum - Every Day!
I'm so thankful .......:unsure:

Thanks for reply,,,,, However! This confused me even more, especially after reading ironing into fabric.... ??? a wrap ironed in fabric?
Then I googled bees wax food wrap///// never heard of it until now.....
I thought you guy were............... never mind ! Just sounds kinda crazy now....

So if I understand this correctly, people wrap food up in wax "infused" cloth to keep it fresh...... Bees wax infused fabric. ?
do you guys not have Jiffy Bags or cling wrap?
I just turn another plate upside down and stick it on top - keep the flies off and all.. :)
Learn something every day on this forum - Every Day!
I'm so thankful .......:unsure:
Yes it’s a fad here. Never mind the carbon footprint of the cotton used.
I agree a bowl with a plate on top is as good as any and reusable till either breaks.

They are very attractive to those who want to eliminate plastic waste - so on the basis that the customer is always right, we make and sell them.
Just pulling your leg.... Too each and his own.....
I spend money on stranger things I suppose....

That is quite a pile of foundation sheets! The photo looks as though the wax sheets have been embossed. If that is correct, what method did you use to make them, or to emboss them?
I am interested to know how thick your wax sheets are, so I wonder if you would let us know how many there are in that pile, and what is the weight of them? Thank you

That is quite a pile of foundation sheets! The photo looks as though the wax sheets have been embossed. If that is correct, what method did you use to make them, or to emboss them?
I am interested to know how thick your wax sheets are, so I wonder if you would let us know how many there are in that pile, and what is the weight of them? Thank you
I tried to put up a series of photos but technical incompetence got in the way.
The sheets are embossed, if you look again you'll see they're sitting on the plastic embossing sheets, called herring plates.
The system involves preparing plain sheets, I use plywood tray with a rim with a gap, then putting them while they're still warm through the mangle between the carefully aligned herring plates. The resulting foundations are slightly thicker than commercially available foundation and it's a fiddle that I wouldn't advise for anyone unable to zone off and meditate while doing such tasks.
Annoyingly a side by side comparison test with commercially available foundation next to my organic, pure wax, blood sweat and tears home made foundation revealed the bees preferred the machine made stuff :(

Annoyingly a side by side comparison test with commercially available foundation next to my organic, pure wax, blood sweat and tears home made foundation revealed the bees preferred the machine made stuff :(
That must be very annoying ... got any theories as to why ?

A couple of years ago a former member on here gave me some 14 x 12 frames that were already fitted with foundation (he was changing to Nationals) - I used them alongside my foundationless frames and the bees fastidiously ignored them in favour of building their own comb in the foundationless frames. I ended up taking them out and melting them down to make polish. I figured if the bees didn't like the wax that was the only thing it was good for.

That must be very annoying ... got any theories as to why ?

A couple of years ago a former member on here gave me some 14 x 12 frames that were already fitted with foundation (he was changing to Nationals) - I used them alongside my foundationless frames and the bees fastidiously ignored them in favour of building their own comb in the foundationless frames. I ended up taking them out and melting them down to make polish. I figured if the bees didn't like the wax that was the only thing it was good for.
Deeper imprint, softer wax, they were my only theories, I was sulking too hard to think of any others

I used a silicon mould from Thornes for the first time last year. Bees built it out OK. It was a bit thicker than factory made. Dictated by how hot the wax is when you pour into mould, around 70-80degC.

Additional question. Should the wax temperature be raised to temperatures that kill off fungal spores, viruses and bacteria?
It's all my wax so I have no obvious foul brood but definitely DWV and chalkbrood.

Update: just found this about sterilised wax. 125degC for 1 hour.

https://www.beekeeping.co.uk/new-sterilised-wax-foundation/
And a previous thread here: Sterilised bees wax

I'll have a read.

Last edited:
I used a silicon mould from Thornes for the first time last year. Bees built it out OK. It was a bit thicker than factory made. Dictated by how hot the wax is when you pour into mould, around 70-80degC.

Additional question. Should the wax temperature be raised to temperatures that kill off fungal spores, viruses and bacteria?
It's all my wax so I have no obvious foul brood but definitely DWV and chalkbrood.

Update: just found this about sterilised wax. 125degC for 1 hour.

https://www.beekeeping.co.uk/new-sterilised-wax-foundation/
And a previous thread here: Sterilised bees wax

I'll have a read.
With that kind of temps and time you're going to end up with some really deep brown wax

Latest posts

Back