How to best seal a timber feeder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just ordered a hive top timber feeder from Thorne for my hives. It says it needs sealing with wax or glue.....

Can someone advise what is safe to use to seal the feeder with so that it is bee friendly and does not leak when filled with syrup?

Thanks

Chris

I have just ordered a hive top timber feeder from Thorne for my hives. It says it needs sealing with wax or glue.....

Can someone advise what is safe to use to seal the feeder with so that it is bee friendly and does not leak when filled with syrup?

Thanks

Chris

As per Thorne's advice, beeswax, then undercoat and a few coats gloss paint. Then air for a few months to get rid of the fumes. Some beeks just use beeswax to seal and waterproof it.

All sorts of things get used.
PVA, masonry paint, water-based (acrylic) gloss paint … Beeswax is the deluxe solution! :)

Welcome to the forum!

I use yacht varnish x 2 coats, allow to harden, then melt wax (Paraffin or bees) and pour into feeder ensuring all seams are covered. (Best if feeder is warm so wax does not solidify immediately!)

Works perfectly over years...

I would seal all the joints when you build the feeder. Trying to get a joint sealed after the fact is rather like a band-aid approach. Sealant in on the outside of the joints and is prone to failure.

I build feeders, both division board feeders and hive top feeders. I seal all joints with a bead of subfloor adhesive. I don't know your product names. Subfloor adhesive is used for glueing down subfloor to floor joists, and will work even with wet wood. It remains flexible. Here in America we have a product called Liquid Nails. The best exterior grade of the product is pretty much the same as subfloor adhesive. I've never used it to seal feeders, but silicone might work as well.

But really, do the sealing as you build the feeder.

. Here in America we have a product called Liquid Nails. The best exterior grade of the product is pretty much the same as subfloor adhesive.

We have the same here - but it's called sticks like sh!t

My better half is a sales rep for the building chemicals trade and when making my own Miller feeder recommended I used a Bostik product called "Sticks Like Sh*t" , really that's what it is called, it's a waterproof glue/ or a similar product. Then seal the wood with yaught varnish/gloss paint or similar. I hope this helps.

Back