How small a gap can a wax moth get through

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Stacking unoccupied boxes with frames which have contained brood, I've noticed in the past that moisture does get in and no doubt there will be condensation even when stored undercover. Since I have a lot of Abelo boxes I thought of putting one on the top and one on the bottomof a stack, with the white plugs removed and replaced by the mesh vent-plugs. I've not seen a wax-moth for comparison that I could identify as such, so are there any thoughts on whether one might squeeze through those tiny gaps.

Stacking unoccupied boxes with frames which have contained brood, I've noticed in the past that moisture does get in and no doubt there will be condensation even when stored undercover. Since I have a lot of Abelo boxes I thought of putting one on the top and one on the bottomof a stack, with the white plugs removed and replaced by the mesh vent-plugs. I've not seen a wax-moth for comparison that I could identify as such, so are there any thoughts on whether one might squeeze through those tiny gaps.
The main danger is from trapping an undeveloped one in there in my view! Not them getting in there over winter.

Just burn a teaspoon of sulphur per couple of BBs (or equivalent volume) in the stack, at the top then seal up, every so often.

Just burn a teaspoon of sulphur per couple of BBs (or equivalent volume) in the stack, at the top then seal up, every so often.
I'm even less keen on burning sulphur than I am about burning oxalic acid; after all, I have an eternity of burning sulphur ahead of me. It's not that I want to kill moths, just to keep them out whilst keeping everything aired.

As already said, it is the eggs or larvae already in there, which will de.stroy your comb. If you do not like the idea of sulphur, there is always the freezer or Dipel, which is what I use.

As already said, it is the eggs or larvae already in there, which will de.stroy your comb. If you do not like the idea of sulphur, there is always the freezer or Dipel, which is what I use.

So, if I assume there is no contamination of eggs or larvae already in those boxes (and as long as I'm correct in my assumption) , I don't even need to worry about the moth? So I'm wondering why I've read of people sealing their boxes so tightly over winter.

I think the gap needed by the moth is minute. As I've previously posted, until they became too expensive, I've used plastic frames for > 10 years. When I decide to ditch old black comb by separating the two halves of the frame I invariably find wax moth larvae in the void of the moulding. Thus I burn sulphur strips above my stacked boxes every autumn.

Attachments

• 70130103-9AA5-49D5-BA6D-5E18667997E4_1_105_c.jpeg
    70130103-9AA5-49D5-BA6D-5E18667997E4_1_105_c.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 50B49FA2-7D8E-4432-93FE-4B046DC15397.jpeg
    50B49FA2-7D8E-4432-93FE-4B046DC15397.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
I've stacked my boxes, in the garage, to a height of 2m, used brown parcel tape to "seal" the joins, added a lid on top and allowed some 80% acetic acid to slowly evaporate from a container placed in the top box. Worked last year - no issues with wax moth. Hope it works as well this year.

So, if I assume there is no contamination of eggs or larvae already in those boxes (and as long as I'm correct in my assumption) , I don't even need to worry about the moth? So I'm wondering why I've read of people sealing their boxes so tightly over winter.
I would never make that assumption. Far too great a risk and once developed they really mess up stored comb. As per Jules, yes, acetic works too, also get nosema.

Well I store mine wet and have never had wax moth....though there are reports her of folk who do similarly but still get damage
Another advantage to wet frames is that pollen mites seem to get at the pollen more easily which you can then tip out as a powder the following spring. A sharp tap of the frame and it's clean

Store mine dry. Pollen tips out easily too next spring.
Have had the occasional frame stored wet, which had been overlooked, hence not treated with Dipel, attacked by moth

I stack in (indoors / under cover) with a sheet of newspaper on the base of the stack and a sheet between every box and on the top of the stack with a Queen excluder of similar on the top sheet and I’ve never had a problem.

I store wet and wrapped in newspaper in an old fridge or freezer. No mice. no wasps, no robbing bees and no moth. A small silicone bowl of acetic acid takes care of any moth which might be there and I believe knocks out nosema. No worries about sealing the supers either as they are all outside ready for the following year.

Prices like everything else have gone silly, last time I bought some a few years ago I paid about £45 for 6L now I see it is 75 odd quid.

Earlier in the year I painted my bee shed, £14 x 5L. Yesterday went to get some more, now it is £17 for 5L some 21.5% dearer in a matter of a few months.

Latest posts

Back