How smal does a gap have to be to stop asian hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Eltalia have you got a picture of your 60 metre cone and covering as well, that must have been costly, post#16. How many neighbours gardens did you have to go into?
/grinz/
/Chortles/
/sits down eating popcorn awaiting response/

Thoughts ......

My UK hives (no hornets) work well without a landing board.
Would some tunnel entrances help the defense ?

Maybe the Jersey method of locating the secondary nest may help.

The yanks don't have much success useing shotguns to tackle Africanized HBs.

I have watched a video where a group of Asian Hornets entered a hive and destroyed the full colony fairly quickly..it takes them a second to kill a bee and move onto the next one..pretty savage to watch.

You are watching the Asian Giant Hornet (Vespa mandarinia). I have only had 4 hives fail, there were around 20 hornets hawking outside for about 6 weeks.

Thoughts ......

My UK hives (no hornets) work well without a landing board.
Would some tunnel entrances help the defense ?

Yes, removing landing boards is a good idea when hornets are hawking, according to Karol they can only fly for round 50 mins before refuelling. They often use a landing board to rest and quickly take off when they see an incoming bee. Removing the landing board makes them fly the entire time. I have both entrances, I think wide open entrances are best, bees outmanoeuvre hornets easily when they have enough landing options, small entrances help hornets. That goes against advice here.

Thoughts ......
(edit)
Jersey method of locating the secondary nest may help.
NO clue on your hornet.
In Sou'Aussie the nest has to be destroyed to be effective control.
Some track these down and spray, others set a meshed bait of
fishmeal and flea treatment (fipronil) which bowls the queen(s)
over.
Myself, those boxes were moved.

Bill

Latest posts

Back