How protective is protective clothing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old mirror handy to the apiary can be very useful.[/QUOTE]

Good tip. My defensive colony that I have just dealt with were prone to sending out followers. The last and final sting was due to bees fanning in attacks attached to the small of my back where I couldn't see them. As soon as I removed my veil I was stung on the nape of my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone that uses them had a sting through a double pair of nitrile gloves. I use them, and so far so good, but I was wondering, if the bees were determined enough, would they get through? Luckily my bees are quite calm, and haven't had to face this test....yet...lol

I have been stung through the rubber of Marigold gloves, so a couple of Nitriles would probably offer less protection, although I like the idea of being able to peel a pair off to remove a sting.

CVB

I find a pair of marigolds with a pair of nitriles over the top is enough to stop a bee stinging through .. the nitriles get gummed up and tend to tear so it's easy to put on a fresh pair over the marigolds. Still a thin enough layer to feel what you are doing ..

I find a drop or two of Olbas Oil rubbed on the gloves before you start tends to keep a lot of bees away from your hands ... works if you are brave enough to go without gloves as well.

This works perfect and looks cool

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dubai.jpg
    Dubai.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 161
Pretty much been covered by all the above but the full suit reduces opportunity for bees to get in, adds a layer to reduce the chances of getting stung through clothing and stops your clothes getting sticky and pooped on.
I still swell when stung on fleshy areas and it's always the thought of being stung that's worse than the sting, what drives me bonkers is the itching a few days afterwards!
The most painful stings I've received were from other people's Bees when I wasn't even that close to their hives, on the end of my nose and in my ear! Though several received on my head, neck and face when I had a hole in my veil wasn't much fun.
What still creeps me out is when you have a bee trying to sting you and they grip on making a high pitched squeal. :calmdown:
No matter what you do, you will get stung whether that be when you are in the thick of it or who you least expect it, for example taking your suit off not realising there's a bee still on it.
It's all part of this weird obsession we have.

But...I was told that every sting increased your sexual staying power by at least a minute. I am good for a month!!!!!!!!
E

But...I was told that every sting increased your sexual staying power by at least a minute. I am good for a month!!!!!!!!
E

Ha ha. If you are getting stung there you definitely need better protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a XXL suit and its really baggy and Ive not got stung through that yet even when the bees have really tried to.

One question that comes to mind is about the weave on a bee suit. Is it fine enough such that a sting could get through but the venom sac would not and would therefore allow the sting to be pulled out using the venom sac by merely lifting the material away from the body?

One question that comes to mind is about the weave on a bee suit. Is it fine enough such that a sting could get through but the venom sac would not and would therefore allow the sting to be pulled out using the venom sac by merely lifting the material away from the body?

Generally yes but there may be exceptions

I hate getting stung - mostly the itching, but the swelling on the face which comes up overnight can be a real nuisance. When I started I bought suits with zip fronts and veils attached with zippers - guess what failed? I also bought leather gloves which gave the bees a good foothold whilst stinging and were impossible to clean. Oh dear. Now I wear an ex army boiler suit with velcro fastening. Very strong and cheap if you don't mind brown. I wear two veils (OK I'm really chicken). One is the sort which goes under the suit (you put your arms through a sort of T shirt top). The other is a farmer type veil which rests on top and is held in place by elasticated strings. The odd bee does get under this but cannot get at you and can be squished. Wellington boots. Gloves - I wear thick cotton with nitrile over the top and elasticated sleeve gauntlets. This collection seems to work well and is much cheaper than a branded beesuit.

Latest posts

Back