How protective is protective clothing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Having read many posts on this forum since I decided to become a beekeeper (without bees until April/May) one thing that stands out from the many posts is that beekeeping protective clothing is no more useful than jeans and a sweatshirt so long as ones head is covered with a mesh. I suppose like many outsiders I assumed that beesuits were to stop the keeper from getting stung, this is patently not generally the case. Are fully protective beesuits not made, can they actually exist or will a sting get through anything that still allows the wearer movement?

I'm not generally allergic to anything but that doesn't mean I want to get stung, however from what I read it is not only likely, it is inevitable no matter what one is wearing.

Bees will sting through most single layers of clothing so a beesuit over long trousers works but beesuit over shorts does not, they seem to be able to sting through jeans with ease

BUT a sustained attack can still get through

Although I have blagged last season and not got stung a bee suit is a material like anything else and a bees stinger is only so long. So with enough layers you will be safe.
The reason a full suit gives you more protection is it's a one piece which stops bees finding their way under your clothes. I have full suit for full inspections and wear jacket for quick looks or feeding. I have had one get in between my T-shirt and bee jacket which was abit of an experience trying to get my jacket off without alarming the bee!

Having read many posts on this forum since I decided to become a beekeeper (without bees until April/May) one thing that stands out from the many posts is that beekeeping protective clothing is no more useful than jeans and a sweatshirt so long as ones head is covered with a mesh. I suppose like many outsiders I assumed that beesuits were to stop the keeper from getting stung, this is patently not generally the case. Are fully protective beesuits not made, can they actually exist or will a sting get through anything that still allows the wearer movement?

I'm not generally allergic to anything but that doesn't mean I want to get stung, however from what I read it is not only likely, it is inevitable no matter what one is wearing.

As the old Yorkshire Beehives website used to say "You WILL get stung" ;) unless you have a real allergy it's no big deal (think a strong nettle). I have a couple of beesuits but nowadays I tend to wear a jacket with veil. Always with a sleeved shirt underneath. Cheap ASDA jeans tucked into wellingtons, a pair of elasticated wrist cuffs to cover the inevitable gap between nitrile gloves and sleeves completes the ensemble. (leather gloves are not recommended)
Just make sure you ALWAYS close your zips and velcro flaps to avoid bees inside your veil. An old mirror handy to the apiary can be very useful.

I began last year and my experience is that whilst bees can sting through a suit they generally don't. The places you're most likely to get stung is on the hands which to be honest I have found doesn't hurt at - I wear rubber gloves which they can get through no problem but after the first couple of stings I tend not to notice until a couple of days later when I find a tiny white dot on my finger.

What a suit does do is to keep your face and head protected and to prevent bees getting inside your clothing. I once went to help a friend without wearing a suit - sure enough two bees got down my neck and stung me on the neck and back. I couldn't fasten my collar for a couple of days.

A suit also keeps all the sticky stuff off your clothes, and bees do like making things sticky. So the one piece suits get my vote as well worth it.

The worst numbers of stings I have received have been:
1. Around legs and feet from bees crawling up off the ground. Some do , some don't. Unless you wear wellies with trousers tucked in or suit trousers with cuffs, you will get stung - a lot.
2. Bees finding a hole in veil. Either through damage or incorrectly fastened (usual).
3. Through tight trousers.
4. Hands and wrists. I attract bees to my wrists ..No gloves

With immunity to stings - which comes after lots of stings over a couple of years - comes an ability to withstand pain... I used to swell up on soft flesh after a sting. No real effect now - even on nose.

Fully protective bee suits do exist. I buy mine from Golden bee Suits in the USA. They cost about £200 per time when shipping etc is taken into account. They are tailored to your individual measurements. My original one is now 8 years old and still going with some repairs. They were designed for dealing with the africanised bee. The makers claim you can stand in an angry swarm naked except for the suit and boots and not get stung. Never tried it myself!! They are sold to the Texas and Louisiana fire depts. who have to deal with these bee call-outs.

As a general rule bees crawl upwards so an all in one suit has no gaps for them to crawl into. When I first started beekeeping I only used a veil that had strings that went under your arms, trust me, bees will find a way in, up your jeans and into your sweatshirt, up your shirt and into your veil, up your boots and into your trousers. That is why every piece of clothing is best tucked into the one below it. Jeans into boots sweatshirt into trousers etc. An all in one suit stops all this problem but if you are naked underneath you will get stung. I temper the under garments with the weather and the temper of the bees. For a really angry hive I would wear bomb proof stuff under my suit but generally a thin long sleeved shirt and thin trousers is good enough. One tip though, don't shake the bees from a swarm down the top of your boots, they don't like it!
E

I only possess a beekeeping jacket and veil.. not a full suit. For 99% of the time that is sufficient.

But if I know I am going to be harassed by angry bees I wear a full mechanics uniform with a zip front and no through pockets - over jeans. And wear the jacket on top.
Tuck the jeans and uniform into half wellies so bees cannot enter down the wellies, wear a baseball cap under veil and nitrile gloves over marigolds - drawn up at cuffs over beejacket.
Virtually sting proof.. but also very good at emulating a Turkish Bath..(I used to use those for losing weight before weightlifting competitions..very effective for a short term loss of 1kg..:)

Edit I regularly replace the elastic on waist and cuffs on bee jacket to ensure they are beeproof.. Even I as mere man can do that..

If you are already committed to (buying?) your bees, then hopefully they will be gentle in temperament. (Be aware, there are some unscrupulous g*ts who will sell anything, including bee banshees).

If you are relying on swarm catching, they will be an unknown quantity...do you have anything to compare them with/someone you can call on if things head south?

If the bees you end up are not "well behaved", you will need a good bee proof suit - but dealing with stroppy bees is not pleasant and might well put you off!!

Also, please don't forget that you can get suited up in whatever protective clothing is deemed necessary, but (unless your bees are located in the middle of nowhere), there are likely to be non beekeepers - without suits! - around you.

I'm not sure from your post if you have had the chance to handle bees yet - with another beekeeper, the local association apiary? It is invaluable to get some experience before you splash the cash.

PS I fear that there is a 100% certainty that in keeping bees you will be stung, whatever you wear. Most people who decide that beekeeping is for them do get used to it: it's a small price to pay for the enormous pleasure beekeeping gives.

I have pretty defensive bees at the moment and into the 3rd season with them, to date when suited up i have only been stung once on the tip of my finger but through the gloves i wear only the tip touched the skin and very little venom got in, during the busy time in summer although it is uncomfortable i wear a baggy jumper under my bee suit and a pair of nylon waterproof trouser over my normal trousers, on some occasions if i was not wearing such clothing i would expect to take multiple stings on my hands / legs and body during inspections.

Has anyone that uses them had a sting through a double pair of nitrile gloves. I use them, and so far so good, but I was wondering, if the bees were determined enough, would they get through? Luckily my bees are quite calm, and haven't had to face this test....yet...lol

Has anyone that uses them had a sting through a double pair of nitrile gloves. I use them, and so far so good, but I was wondering, if the bees were determined enough, would they get through? Luckily my bees are quite calm, and haven't had to face this test....yet...lol

Simple answer, yes.

Although it was not a full on sting but if they can get through my gloves i would put money on them getting through three or even four pairs of nitrile gloves.

The beauty of nitrile gloves is that, as soon as you feel a sting, just lift the nitrile off your skin. That pulls the sting out and reduces the amount of venom that the venom sac would otherwise continue to pump in.
Trousers: I tuck the legs of the under-trousers into the wellies and the bee suit legs go over the wellies.

. . . I suppose like many outsiders I assumed that beesuits were to stop the keeper from getting stung, . . . . . . . . .

Little bit like crash helmets, You don't need them but they help!
I'm not religious but our local Vicar is and he's been heard to say, "God helps those who help themselves".

Nobody, (well almost) wants to get stung, but as they say in A&E,
:facts:
5H!t happens!

The beauty of nitrile gloves is that, as soon as you feel a sting, just lift the nitrile off your skin. That pulls the sting out and reduces the amount of venom that the venom sac would otherwise continue to pump in.
Trousers: I tuck the legs of the under-trousers into the wellies and the bee suit legs go over the wellies.

Good tips Amari. Thanks

Back