How much do you pay for your allotments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 320 Rods in a Statute Mile.

Four Rods equals one Chain, which is the length of a cricket pitch, being 22 yards.

One Rod equals 16 feet and six inches, or 5029.2 millimetres.

Allotment cost

£14 a year for 5 Rods - bees & chickens allowed - water in taps included, no structures above 3' x 6'. Council owned. Good site in Fareham, Hampshire. Don't tell the council what a bargain we are getting ! The price will go up:willy_nilly: !!

£25 per month for about a quarter of an acre.

Mine costs £24 per annum, local authority land, stands alone, with good access off a lane. Size..150ft by 50ft Or 50 yards by 16.66yards. I collect rain water off the roof of a builders yard on the other side of the lane (west) and a pigeon shed to the north. I keep my bees there .
Bryan

We've put our name down for an allotment in Colchester, 38 quid a year with running water, no livestock allowed but when it comes up, we'll put up couple of cheeky bee houses for good measure.

Seems to be a wide variation in prices per perch of plots.

10 rod plot £55 this year, having held prices for some years. That is still cheaper than the direct let council sites.

£40 per year, 20m x 5m, including composting bins, 1000l IBU included in allotment, £5 to fill from mains tap, which is padlocked at all times, see committee member, you can have as many re-fills as you like for £5 a time.

Standard Tenancy Agreement, so you can keep, bees, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits and guinea pigs! (no pigs, sheep, horses, cattle etc)

Free Talks and Training Provided on Growing Vegetables, Fruit/Fruit Tree Pruning/Winter Pruning/Gardners Question Time.

Free use of petrol mower, hedge trimmer, bush cutter, petrol cultivator, excellent rural location, made possible by Big Lottery and Local Food Grants!

Plots still available...!

Hi einsteinagogo, what is a 1000l IBU, please?

£40 per year, 20m x 5m, including composting bins, 1000l IBU included in allotment, £5 to fill from mains tap, which is padlocked at all times, see committee member, you can have as many re-fills as you like for £5 a time.

Standard Tenancy Agreement, so you can keep, bees, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits and guinea pigs! (no pigs, sheep, horses, cattle etc)

Free Talks and Training Provided on Growing Vegetables, Fruit/Fruit Tree Pruning/Winter Pruning/Gardners Question Time.

Free use of petrol mower, hedge trimmer, bush cutter, petrol cultivator, excellent rural location, made possible by Big Lottery and Local Food Grants!

Plots still available...!

I'm seriously considering returning to my native Yorkshire on the strength of this post !!

Hi einsteinagogo, what is a 1000l IBU, please?

1000 litre plastic container inside a metal cage attached to a pallet ... It's actually an IBC - Intermediate Bulk Container - usually used for shipment of liquids in bulk such as fruit juice, glue etc.

Really great for rainwater storage - I have mine mounted on a plinth which gives me a head of water that will allow a hose to run. I collected 500 litres last winter from a 1 metre square raincatcher on the top of it last winter, with the rainfall from a shed roof you should easily get it full over a normal UK winter.

Latest posts

Back