How much do you pay for your allotments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As the title says really.
We pay £70 a year for ours with no restrictions, we can keep bees, hens and horses if we want with no problems only down side is that we have no water supply - except a river that runs at the bottom :)
Ours are private but the council ones further down from us are £170 a year.

£21, no livestock, including bees. a pond to use for water,

£10 to be an associate member so I can keep bees.

mines council now, 12metres by 25 metres allowed small animals, duck, cucks and rabbits and bees, no cloven hoof tho, water taps on site £28 a year rent

my old allotemnt site 1 acre field £50 donation a year to the church, water was my own hand dug well on it, no rules any thing goes and as many animals as you want

We called allotments 'pens' , they could be had for 6d per annum ! How times have changed .
VM

10rod plot here £17 including water on tap, allowed bees (sepaerate area set aside for them), chickens and other animals.

£24.00 We get taps & rubbish removed. Can keep bees (now) and chickens
Price is about to triple suposedly to bring us in line with other neighbouring council's charges.

£50 for 10 rod for me, unfortunately I am considering letting it go this year as I want to concentrate more time to beekeeping next year, but I will keep the apiary going in the corner of the site I have been promised this or more like told to keep it going.

Yes HM a big difference I know of a site up the road from me smaller plots but £150 per year. It’s a different borough and they may have metered water supply as have been threatened to us.

£50 per 5 rod plot. No livestock except bees. Water available.

for those not able like my self to be able to understand 200 year old gibberish that has no place in the planet let alone the metric uk a "rod" is five english metres long,

where someone says they have a ten rod plot what they are trying to say is " my plot is 50 metres long" its a shame they then dont bother to tell you its width, some can be 10 metres some one metre, it does make it very hard to make a judgement on its cost to size ratio, but you proberly find they then return with another archaic dimention like its ten rods by so many cubics and when noah set out these allotments it was good enough for him, lol

arc anyone!!

This description helped me get my head round it

1 rod/pole/perch = 5.5 yards (reputedly the distance from the back of the plough to the nose of the oxen!!!). Therefore a square rod (in which allotments are measured is 30.25 sq yards) thus a standard 10 rod plot is 302.5 sq yards = 2722.5 sq ft (that's approximately 250 square metres to the froggies)

It is about the size of the penalty area on a football pitch/a tennis court.... or you would fit 16 in an acre if that gives you a better estimate....or maybe 10,400 in a square mile helps!

Just measured our plot and its 26mtrs x 16mtrs – so decent size but still quite expensive compared to what most of you are paying.

We called allotments 'pens' , they could be had for 6d per annum ! How times have changed .
VM
I used to play in my granddads ‘pen’ when I was a lad in Leigh.
Don't know how much he payed though :)
Les

I used to play in my granddads ‘pen’ when I was a lad in Leigh.
Don't know how much he payed though :)
Les
Probably about the same .
I believe they called them ranches in the North East :)
VM

250 sq m £50 per year inc. water an an annual skip, bees allowed.

Local gargen centre set up private ones with a tiny shed & mini greenhouse £10 pw. Ouch! and they let the lot by the looks of it.

30 pound a year I was paying for a plot on a comunity allotment, it was a good price as 6 of us had full control of the surrounding land. We planted an orchard including Apple,pear,plum traditional English varieties . Polytunnel 50x20ft compost bays etc. I was the site manager but handed it over to another to allow me more time to concentrate on the bees (on site) the whole site is approx 1 1/2acres,we have free running water,all other upkeep hedges,grass is managed by us. :)

Latest posts

Back