How many supers for summer (NE)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msillence

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I guess there's no fixed rule but how many supers am I likely to need fur summer for one hive?
I'd like to be prepared, this will be my first year there seem to be plenty of bees and they are looking busy already.

Thanks,
M

I used 3 im my first season. I got my bees at the end of april.

Hi M

You're right, it's a 'piece of string question'. However, you should consider how many brood boxes you might need, especially as they are busy early in the season. Running with only one could give rise to problems, e.g. if you need to hurry to do an artificial swarm (or indeed, if your colony goes queenless).

Anyway, I had four supers on one colony last year.

Last edited:
Firstly this will be our first full year, so our plan may be a bad one. but for what it's worth.

We have 4 hives each with 2 brood boxes, and 2 supers. only 3 have bees in at the moment. but all four are liklely to be populated by summer. hopfully one hive will be strong and have 5 supers (i know chickens and eggs as well as pieces of string). also hopefully some will do less well and only have 1 super. if it comes to it we have a spare brood box per hive that could be used as a deep super. untill we need to do a Artficail swarm then we will be knackered....... oh no 4 poly nucs as well, for emergencies.

like i say...... it may be a bad plan.

Tread carefully as bees can fill a super of OSR in record time under a good flow. They go mad for it, frequently catching the unwary, ermm unawares! Rapid build up is sometimes the cause for some grotty old equipment being brought out of dim and dark corners of bee sheds (with increased disease risk, if not suitably prepared)! Don't rely on the manufacturers being able to get an overnight delivery of flat packs in either - the demand is great.

The OSR is just starting to turn yellow here and I hives amid it on the farm. How quickly would you expect a Super to be filled ?I plan to puto on 2 and then rotate a third via the extractor.

I plan to puto on 2 and then rotate a third via the extractor.

Not a bad plan, especially in your first season. It is easy to get caught out with OSR granulating in the hive. It may be better with three and one rotating, depending on the circumstances.

If you had 2 supers on would they work both simultaneously? Is that why you would have two rather than just put 1 at a time and replace when full? Last year was my first season with nucs that never really needed supers

Often, the first super can contain an arch of pollen (it being the uppermost part of the brood nest, extending out of the brood chamber, especially on smaller brood chambers). Bees might get a bit miffed if their honey and pollen stores are swiped!

Any size box is a brood box if it has brood in it.. :cool:

And any sized box is a super if it is for honey storage.. :cool:

Just for info the above comment I believe is meant as a funny.

PH

So hopefully I'll be ok. I have 4 supers and a spare broodbox.

I gather the weather is going to cool. I'm a bit surprised by how quickly they seem to be building up.

Thanks
M

That is unless finman is right in which case I'm in trouble...

If you have more supers on than you think they need, to stop them funnelling up the centre and not filling outside frames, put a crown board with open feeder hole underneath the top super. They will use it if they need it but generally will fill the others properly first. This is a useful trick any time of the year if a flow is on or if you need to go away for a few days etc.

On average it's best to have four per unit.

When three are full or near full they can be cleared down to the brood/s and the fourth super which is added at this point, while the first three are removed for extracting. After which flow depending another is likely needed on the hive. Making two in service and two in hand.

PH

Latest posts

Back