How many bee years are you upto?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Afternoon, bee years are worked out as follows 1 hive per year .
Since 2020 I’m up-to 320 bee years which I thought was a lot I know some of you are in your thousands😅
Perhaps I should of done a poll?

Nope never heard of it .

Sounds like something someone has devised for one upmanship nonsense, I'm better then you type.
Well I’ve heard it before from other beekeepers @ericbeaumont im sure has to,I think I read him saying about being in the thousands.

Possibly that but years do hopefully come with experience even if it is bee years.

It's a bit like the saying who is the better or more knowledgeable beekeeper, the one who has kept two or three hives for 10 years or the one who has kept 10 hives for two or three years.
The truth is one can really never know as they both may be inept as each or eqaully both very good.

I know of a beek who has had bees for a dozen years or more , they would still would struggle to pass the basic.

Last edited:
the better or more knowledgeable beekeeper, the one who has kept two or three hives for 10 years or the one who has kept 10 hives for two or three years
Depends on the willingness of the beekeeper to improve; if that is the case, 10 hives for 3 years will accelerate learning. If not, the beekeeper will be as bad in 30 years as in the first 3, no matter the number of colonies.

I think the gist of this post is interesting. Generally the number of hives and "number of years at it" is important in gaining knowledge and collecting experiences. It depends on what Eric has noted in post number 17 though.
Having said that, I know someone that had bees for about 25 years but knew very little more after 25 years than they did at the start, only opening the hives to add supers on and take supers off to collect the honey...so only opening them up about twice a year. Never saw a queen and probably never looked at brood. I know someone else who had bees 35 years and never opened the hives at all. Ever.

I've heard the term used. bit arbitory, but I think the intension was to illustrate length of beekeeping is not indicative of experience / skill.

Latest posts

Back