How many Apiaries!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I just logged into BeeBase to update my records and I noticed that it says there are 214 Apiaries within a 10km radius

Should I be worried about this number or not?

It just seems to be very high - my hives are in a built up residential area in the suburbs of Oldham

Andy

10KM radius - 314.16km²

I'm sure it was only 160 last time I looked.

Not saturation... some will have just 2 colonies... some may have 50 +

I keep mine in groups of 10 or so, but easily 10km between some!

Yeghes da

I keep mine in 2-5 groups.

I try to get 60-150 kg yields. 10 is too much.
Effiecient foraging radius is 1 km.

Over that distance about half of load is consumed in flying.

Hi all

I just logged into BeeBase to update my records and I noticed that it says there are 214 Apiaries within a 10km radius

Should I be worried about this number or not?

It just seems to be very high - my hives are in a built up residential area in the suburbs of Oldham

Andy

It will be more. Not everyone is on Beebase.
No point in worrying....nothing you can do.

Hi all

Should I be worried about this num ber or not?

Andy

well one of my apiaries on a London university's roof has 501 apiaries within a 10km radius and it still produces a minimum of 120 lbs of honey every year

so if we say three hives per apiary that 1500 colonies in 314km2 or my single hive on the Uni roof has approx 200,000 square meters of forage area or 25 football pitches

That's mainly concrete jungle ,so think you will be ok

133 for me but two of them are registered sites I will be using next year and 3 more are beeks on the allotments with one or two hives.

What ever you calculate, you have there too much hives. There is not enough nectar to share between hives.

From good pastures one hive gets 50 kg in 7 day. You do not get that in 7 months. It is same in most European countries and most keep their hives on backyard and do not migrate them.

In my country hive density calculations are out of mind. They are based on nothing. 4-6 hives/ha recommendation. Then meadures 300 kg honey from hectare. On 10 hectares field 40-60 hives! Who heck would do that!

1 km radius is really small pasture to the bees, but it is efficient if it has enough good vegetation.

What ever you calculate, you have there too much hives. There is not enough nectar to share between hives.

From good pastures one hive gets 50 kg in 7 day. You do not get that in 7 months. It is same in most European countries and most keep their hives on backyard and do not migrate them.

In my country hive density calculations are out of mind. They are based on nothing. 4-6 hives/ha recommendation. Then meadures 300 kg honey from hectare. On 10 hectares field 40-60 hives! Who heck would do that

There is another thread with film of Chinese hives on a hillside. I suspect your 4-6 hives/ha is a long way short of what they are running on :)
Different strokes for different folks.

There is another thread with film of Chinese hives on a hillside. I suspect your 4-6 hives/ha is a long way short of what they are running on :)
Different strokes for different folks.

Those are not real beehives. They are some attractions for tourists. China is a huge honey producer. It is not old farts' play ground.

Only Australians have researched density of beehives how to maximize honey crop. I do not have found other researches.

Last edited:
I have always used rule of thumb only 2 supers honey yield to many colonies, 5+supers pasture can sustain more colonies. As an average for the apiary.

I just started to harvest my hives. I have 4 colonies beside 10 hectares summer rape field. Hives have equal 5 langstroth boxes. Now hives are full and I am in a hurry to get free space for winter bee laying.

These each hive will get 100 kg from this place. And they each have drawn 3 boxes foundations
When rape was finish over one week ago, they have got good yield from other plants.

Aroma is splended in this multifloral place. That is what I wish from my pastures.

I am sitting in the car and I am quite exhausted. It is outside 26C and no wind. Nectar is flowing well. My cottage is 17 km far away. Long distance but worth to drive.

i sweep cream from nature. This place did not needed more bees. Bee density in rape was guite high.

I have moved these hives twice during July. First 2 weeks on first rape field gove nothing (20 ha) because temps were only 15-18C. I am satisfied to this field and this plase.

Last edited:
well one of my apiaries on a London university's roof has 501 apiaries within a 10km radius and it still produces a minimum of 120 lbs of honey every year

so if we say three hives per apiary that 1500 colonies in 314km2 or my single hive on the Uni roof has approx 200,000 square meters of forage area or 25 football pitches

That's mainly concrete jungle ,so think you will be ok

What a huge drone pool your queens have to choose from, bet you don't get many poorly mated queens!
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a huge drone pool your queens have to choose from, bet you don't get many poorly mated queens!
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good description of today's London a melting pot of humanity... so glad I live here!

Yeghes da

I have always used rule of thumb only 2 supers honey yield to many colonies, 5+supers pasture can sustain more colonies. As an average for the apiary.

One big colony makes more honey than two small colonies.
Join them to get good yield, when flow begins.

I have rule of thump: 2-3 brood boxes plus 4-6 supers. Hive should have capasity to store 120 kg capped honey. Most of space is needed to store nectar. To get such hive for rape field for example I joined this year 3 AS hives. 6 boxes alltogether. Good flying!

2 supers are really too small to catch a flow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back