How many apiaries in your neck of the woods?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
43 for me, i wonder where they are all hiding?

That could be over 300 square kilometres - unless you are on/near the coast. They are likely not hiding at all!

530 for me. * Gasp *

Glad to have secured a substantial Cleaner, Greener, Safer Council grant earlier this year for bee-friendly plantings on two community days at a local park....every little helps !

31 for me in a 10 km area - quite a surprise - .. and that's the known ones - what about the unknowns - not seen any swarms yet though

Though I was going to top the tree but considering everything is east, west or north with me pretty well, I thought 201 was quite a few. No wonder we have a high concentration of EFB too.

230 within 10km, or 1.3 km2 (0.5 square miles) for each registered site. That's going to be mostly small sites I guess in a suburban area.

NBU did request all local BKAs to forward membership details unless the individual objected. Not sure how they would translate that into apiaries if the individuals had from 0 (maybe shared association site) to potentially many apiaries. It does mean that the local BKA membership is likely to be at least partially registered. I'd say the numbers don't look that far off the number of local BKA members in the circle, maybe a few more members than registered apiaries. Are there unregistered sites? Almost certainly, but I would guess relatively few and most of them have been there a long time. The recently established are likely to be more numerous and better known.

If you want to see what your 10Km radius looks like, try

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

It doesn't do a clean radius from a UK post code but you can zoom to a town and click an there are post code based tools you can try that incidentally produce a radius.

Last edited:
Where do you find that info on BeeBase?

76, 67, 69, 52 within 10 kms of mine. I was suprised when I saw it first.

I know 3 apiaries inside 20 km radius. Me included. About 60 hives.
I do not count solitary hives. They exist and wild ones.

just now autumn rape has started to bloom. I have there 2 hives there.
A good ratio. The field is 13 ha.

Last edited:
Where do you find that info on BeeBase?
Log in and go to "My Apiaries", then click the one you want to learn more about. It's to the left of the map.

Register with beebase, then add your apiary or apiaries. The information is then displayed alongside each apiary.

Ahh, I'm not registered because I haven't got an apiary - yet. :dupe:

You can register and add an apiary with no bees, you can move that apiary around. If you have more than one possible site you can use Beebase data to compare the number of nearby apiaries, which might help you choose the best site from those you have available.

On the other hand how up to date is beebase?
Apiary data seems to automatically update because the 'other apiaries' number changed almost instantly when I added one within the 10km range. Maybe somebody else was doing the same, at exactly the same time - but the number still changed.

79 and 69 within 10 k of my two apiaries. One is just across the road.

Thanks, BeeJoyful. I have 149 in a 10km radius.

Interested to know how you know how many there are near your apiaries in France, other than walking the ground? Havn't found anywhere where you can get info and anyway I think a lot of apiaries are 'undeclared' here despite legal requirement to do so. (Thats what I believe here in Normandy at least!)

Why does that not surprise me? Maybe because!!!!
The deadline for ban on sow stalls is the January 1, 2013

Sow stalls have been banned completely in the UK since 1999. Sweden, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Ireland, Germany, Estonia, Denmark, the Czech Republic and Bulgaria are also all either fully compliant or are expected to be ready in time.

Of the rest, the picture remains unclear as a number of countries, including France, one of the EU’s biggest pig producers, Belgium and Portugal, have either provided no figures at all or insufficient data on their current situation. Italy has provided figures but has forbidden the Commission to publish them.

It's off topic so don't reply

530 for me. * Gasp *

Glad to have secured a substantial Cleaner, Greener, Safer Council grant earlier this year for bee-friendly plantings on two community days at a local park....every little helps !

That's interesting.....it seems that in London the closer you get to the City, the higher the hive density. SE1 is the Elephant... not so far from Central London at all. Great news about the planting :)

Latest posts

Back