How many apiaries in your neck of the woods?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
From another thread:

"There are 449 apiaries (apiaries, not colonies) within 10km of my apiary in Dulwich according to Beebase."

Here there are apparently 29.

How about you?

79 apiaries within 10k for me.

Interesting but doesn't mean much without reference to available nectar sources and total colony number

According to BeeBase, 79. I know a few of them. One is huge (must be getting on for 100 hives and nucs, but I have no idea how many actually have colonies in them).

As I posted on the other thread 112, 116 and 124 respectively 10KM radius of my 3 apiaries. (According to beebase)

There again 2 of my 3 apiaries are in fields and the 3rd in a Garden next to fields.

I have no real idea of hive numbers in apiaries though, that would be more interesting!

35 and 27 I only know of a small amount of them don't suppose they are all occupied. One of my apiaries doesn't have any bees in it.

Presumably BeeBase's 'Number of apiaries' is more relevant to rural areas where an apiary is likely to have only a few hives. In rural areas the number of colonised hives in an apiary is likely to be much more widely variable.

Just as long as the title is kept in context. Apiaries can be one or two colonies up to many multiples of those smaller ones. A commercial enterprise with, say, 400 hives would/could be recorded as only very few, if the numbers were compiled in the winter!

Another case where journalistic headlines can encourage a disproportionate responses.
Picking your base figure (450 in over 300 square kilometres) is being selective in itself. 450 colonies in that sized area of mixed countryside would likely have been a 'nothing' a hundred years or more ago (especially in the skep era!)

Interested to know how you know how many there are near your apiaries in France, other than walking the ground? Havn't found anywhere where you can get info and anyway I think a lot of apiaries are 'undeclared' here despite legal requirement to do so. (Thats what I believe here in Normandy at least!)

Where did you all get your data from? I can't see how on Beebase.:(

Where did you all get your data from? I can't see how on Beebase.:(
Register with beebase, then add your apiary or apiaries. The information is then displayed alongside each apiary.

It tells you how many registered apiaries there are, not how many colonies or hives and, obviously, can't include sites owned by unregistered beekeepers or feral colonies.

With mine it's 86, 84 and 98 within a 10km radius of each site. I know the first one is wrong, because I know of at least two unregistered apiaries very close by, as well as the site of several ferals.

58 apparently - I know where five of them are, <10 % must do better

Last edited:
It has been mentioned a few times that this is only registered apiaries and plenty of people don’t bother to register any or all so it may be a much higher number.

On the other hand how up to date is beebase?

Off now to see if I can remember how to log on.

between 155 and 187 for my 3 apiaries

but 10 swarm collectors under 2 miles

which focusses the mind to "keep the hives strong but dont let them swarm".......

which I suppose is good practice for beekeeping ...

118 with me I was surprised by so many

Grub

Interested to know how you know how many there are near your apiaries in France, other than walking the ground? Havn't found anywhere where you can get info and anyway I think a lot of apiaries are 'undeclared' here despite legal requirement to do so. (Thats what I believe here in Normandy at least!)
Because everybody here knows everything about you before you know it yourself - impossible to keep anything a secret :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back