How long to freeze supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeperdiverdude

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am currently hogging our chest freezer with a number of super frames prior to storing them for winter.

What is the consensus for how long to leave them in for to kill wax moth?

Obviously my other half wants the freezer back asap!

DDD

Have you got wax moth ??.

I should imagine just over night would do

Grub

If in doubt 24 hours in the freezer and then wrap them individually in cling film so that if one has some waxmoth it cannot spread to the rest, alternatively extract and store wet.

If in doubt 24 hours in the freezer and then wrap them individually in cling film so that if one has some waxmoth it cannot spread to the rest, alternatively extract and store wet.

I dont like storing wet you can get moulds and the like growing, much better to give back to the bees to clean out and repair

Grub

Have you tried Certan B401 . I have used without problems .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Have never frozen any of mine and never have a problem ,just let the bees clean them up and put the whole super in a sealed bin bag just to keep the dust off and insects out. Store them in the shed for the winter.I don't think the wife would be very happy if I used the freezer.

I let the bees clean up the extracted frames, over a crow board with small holes. Stack them and burn sulphur in the stack, which is held together with a ratchet strap. Wax moth never a bother. Two sulphur burns 3-4 weeks apart - it does not kill wax moth eggs.

I am currently hogging our chest freezer with a number of super frames prior to storing them for winter.

What is the consensus for how long to leave them in for to kill wax moth?

Obviously my other half wants the freezer back asap!

The time taken to achieve minus 29 degrees C matters - a maximum of 4hrs. Killing most nasties can be done overnight. But do wrap carefully afterwards in clingfilm or similar.

Have stored mine wet for quite a few years now. Pallet wrap each box and stack, not had a problem with any of the ‘predicted ‘ malaise’s and bees take to supers immediately the next spring.
S

I was worried about mould when I tried storing wet frames but it just doesn't happen..
Mine are stored in a stone barn so basically outside temps. Last year no sign of fermentation or wax moth. Some honey even set on frame tops.

Froze a dozen frames for two days.....wax moth grubs still alive......where is the proof that freezing kills them?
E

... The time taken to achieve minus 29 degrees C matters - a maximum of 4hrs. Killing most nasties can be done overnight. But do wrap carefully afterwards in clingfilm or similar...

A good freezer, if a domestic one. Normal freezer temp is -19C (0F). Typically, left on super-freeze permanently, it will only achieve about -35C.

Sulphur dioxide fumigation has never let me down, for winter storage - but I’ve never put supers into winter storage in the middle of July!

Latest posts

Back