How long do I wait for the queen to get going?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeyonce

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Here we again, talk about a rollercoaster and sorry to ask but I could do with a bit of advice.

My new queen in my 'problem' hive has emerged (would have been about the 16th of August) and this was clear when I checked yesterday. There are no eggs at present and I know it's early days but how long do I wait for her to get going before I give up on her?

Am also concerned about the size of this colony as they've had so little continuity since May and although there's a fair amount of bees in there there's been no eggs laid since about the first week of last month; even if the queen gets out and gets jiggy will the colony make it through the winter?

can take up to 4/5 weeks before you may see any eggs. If you have another colony I would have combined this late in the season.

As you have another colony, there are possibilities to reinforce this colony with emerging brood. All is not yet lost. Uniting can be considered later on, depending on whether the weather chirps up and other considerations.

Even nuc sized colonies can be over-wintered if they are prepared well and looked after carefully (a little more carefully than a full strong colony).

as o90o said + you can always move it into a nuc for the winter

Put into poly nuc and if your other colony can sustain it pinch a frame of brood, sealed brood that is to give them a boost.

I'd certainly give her another three weeks yet.

PH

Thanks for your responses chaps. Fingers crossed!

Put into poly nuc and if your other colony can sustain it pinch a frame of brood, sealed brood that is to give them a boost.

I'd certainly give her another three weeks yet.

PH

When doing this do you mean brood alone or brood with nurse bees. I am assuming the former and if so is it a concern that there will be insufficient bees in the colony to keep the extra brood warm?

Latest posts

Back