How long before putting in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I’m getting a nice tomorrow evening. How long should I leave it in situ before putting in full size hive?
Can I move it over the next day or am I better waiting a few days?

cheers

BE

If the nuc needs putting in a hive, do it straight away, I often move nucs around and hive them as soon as they get to the new apiary, obviously if it's in your back garden there is no harm in leaving them settle overnight - but no advantage either.

If the nuc needs putting in a hive, do it straight away, I often move nucs around and hive them as soon as they get to the new apiary, obviously if it's in your back garden there is no harm in leaving them settle overnight - but no advantage either.
But then any bees that fly up during the transfer don't know where their home is?

But then any bees that fly up during the transfer don't know where their home is?

I would leave then in place for 24 hours, personally, for that reason. Though I think most of the bees that do fly up "smell" their way back to their own hive, in reality.

Ok so if I site them about 19.30 tomorrow and then plan the transfer for 12.00 the next day is that long enough?
Sunset is 20.43 at present.

BE

Nasonov
Ok so if I site them about 19.30 tomorrow and then plan the transfer for 12.00 the next day is that long enough?
Sunset is 20.43 at present.

BE
you could do it between 1930 and 2043 tomorrow with no detrimental effects, so yes, overnight is long enough

I bought my Nuc home, took them into the back garden, let them settle down a bit while I sorted the hives and within a hour I had them transferred into the blood box. Really simple and took just a few minutes, and thats with my girl helping as well.

Back