When to remove foliage.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Moved a hive approx half a mile from original site. Bees have been enclosed for 2 days and a couple of branches placed in front of the entrance to encourage reorientaion when they emerge. I plan to release them tomorrow after three days since a couple of dozen escapees have settled under the varroa mesh and seem to regard the new site as theor home. How long should I leave the branches before removing them all together?

Darryl, please listen to us, go let them out if they fly back they fly back.
Bees relesed. They seemed reasonably calm. A bunch exited and flew around the hive for 10 mins or so and then went back inside. A few flew off before doing what looked like orienation flights. Hopefully they will prefer their new "home" - we'll see .........

I moved a hive this morning just two kilometres, having shut them in last night, to an area with more trees. I released them an hour after the move. Checked them 3 hours later and they still flying circles around the hive. The new spot is very different for them ,high undergrowth, trees and a lower altitude.And the brambles are starting to make an impact.

Bees relesed. They seemed reasonably calm. A bunch exited and flew around the hive for 10 mins or so and then went back inside. A few flew off before doing what looked like orienation flights. Hopefully they will prefer their new "home" - we'll see .........
You got lucky ... even with a perforated entrance and a mesh floor they will have had to work very hard in this heat to keep them sufficiently ventilated -Mine were all out on the landing board last night at midnight fanning ... if you close them up it just makes it a lot more difficult for them. They need a lot of water when it's hot and depriving them of the ability to collect it - they can succumb very quickly to heat and dehydration.

Losing a few flying bees is not one of the four horsemen.
Quick update.
Around 50 bees returned to the original site. Housed them in a box and chauffered them to the new site and shook them ot near the hive. By morning, all had gone (presumably inside).
Thanks to those on this forum who gave sound advice, a catastrophe has been avoided.
Many lessons to be learned
Thanks again
Darryl

Latest posts

Back