Replacing a queen - how much time to leave between removing old queen and inserting new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
I have an under performing 2022 queen which I plan to replace with a recently (< 7 days) mated queen from a mini mating nuc. From the point of squishing the old queen, how long should I leave it before putting the new one in, presumably in a cage with fondant? From what I've read, I should leave it a couple of hours but certainly do it within 24. What do people think?

Like for like , one layer for another straight away. I of course as have mentioned before liberally dunk her in honey and plop her on the top bars.

liberally dunk her in honey and plop her on the top bars.
That method was very much favoured by the now 'long departed' Albert - my guide and instructor during my early days with bees. He explained the method and reasons to me, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have never had the opportunity to use this way of introducing a new queen.

Albert's philosophy with bees was the absolute minimum of invasion and disturbance. "You wouldn't want someone barging through your house upsetting and smashing things every few days or so, would you boy!" he told me.

Malcolm B.

All done. Old queen 'removed' & 10 minutes later new one in place in a cage, tab off. They seemed very receptive to her straight off, so no reason to believe there will be any issues. Will check in a few days. Thanks everyone.

Back