How late do your bees fly?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Just had a look at my hives and a very few determined girls are still flying at almost 10pm (mid June), is this usual??
Edit: sorry - mid July!

Last edited:
Hmmm .... mine were flying till about 9.15pm ... they tend to stop as the sun goes down - remember they navigate principally by the sun so once the sun is below the horizon they will want to be back in the hive ... mind you ... mid June was the longest day so 10pm was a possibility ... we're now mid July so dusk is a bit earlier ...

Just had a look at my hives and a very few determined girls are still flying at almost 10pm (mid June), is this usual??
mine are still going flat out at 2000 and still quite a few active an hour later, so yes, it's usual. when there's a flow on in good weather

At this time of year I'm up at 5am to let the chickens out, and shut them in sometime between 9.30-10pm. In good weather the bees are busily out and about at both these times.

Not sure about start and finish times mid summer but I was surprised to see my lot out in 10C early March collecting pollen.

In summer evening it depends on temperature when the colony stops flying. It was 18C when they stopped flying before sunset. In the day trmp was 25-30C.

After sunrise it depends much about water content of nectar, because night mist has gone into flowers. Nectar is too diluted to be collected . In the morning bees often like to collect drinking water droplets from plant leaves. All traffic is not nectar harvest.They need it to larvae.

Last edited:
Had bees around the bait hive on shed roof at just gone seven this morning ,Hopefully my third swarm coming soon second one from this hive.

Just a few still flying in and out at 22.05 on 15/7/21!
Lots of fanning and you can hear the hive from 15', I guess they are onto something good!
There's a continuous flow of warm damp air out of the mesh floor.
I gave them a 2nd brood box of foundation 5 days ago, it'll be interesting to see on next inspection tomorrow!!

Just a few still flying in and out at 22.05 on 15/7/21!
Lots of fanning and you can hear the hive from 15', I guess they are onto something good!
There's a continuous flow of warm damp air out of the mesh floor.
I gave them a 2nd brood box of foundation 5 days ago, it'll be interesting to see on next inspection tomorrow!!
It is perfect weather for a really good flow from the white clover.

There used to be a concession on the boats - as long as you turned up with the newspapers before the caterer went ashore to buy them it was deemed you had just got up early to save 'cates' a walk, and more importantly you were deemed to have slept on board so wouldn't be docked your night's 'hard lying' allowance

If they’re on a robbing mission they’ll use every glimmer of light ! 😂😂

I was out In my apiary at about 0330 in and found lots of activity on landing boards and flights in and out. It was about 17c

I closed a nuc up at 9.30pm last Thursday . There were bees waiting to enter at 7am on Friday.

Mine were still out a 1015 last night. I could hardly see them in the gloom but the whistled passed my head on their way home!

Latest posts

Back