How does she look?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have just been sent a couple of pictures of our new queen. I'm starting to wonder if she's a bit too small after wading through tons of queen information and pictures. We don't have a clear one of her. Would you guys mind taking a look and telling me if it's worth getting excited about?

She looks fine and will probably get a little bigger as they feed her up.

Phew, thanks, thought she was a bit diddy lol. I can relax now :sifone:

There's nothing particularly wrong with small queens though is there?!
I've never had any problems with size.

There's nothing particularly wrong with small queens though is there?!
I've never had any problems with size.

I thought you wanted big fat girls? Not you personally, I mean in general lol. The ones I've seen pictures of look a lot longer and fatter. I got all carried away with just seeing her, then I started to wonder.....but it looks like I have nothing to worry about :D

I want her to be successful, my first go at rearing and all :)

Oh God! I've just seen what it sounds like!
Er................I meant, in my experiemce, which is all as beekeepers we can really go on, my queens have been unaffected by size.
I'm always conscious of saying that what I say are my experiences and not necessarily true across the board.

I mean maybe bigger is better?!:eek:
lol:cool:

She looks truly regal to me and I am sure her offspring will love her as much as you do...

Long live the queen!

Last edited:
Oh God! I've just seen what it sounds like!
Er................I meant, in my experiemce, which is all as beekeepers we can really go on, my queens have been unaffected by size.
I'm always conscious of saying that what I say are my experiences and not necessarily true across the board.

I mean maybe bigger is better?!:eek:
lol:cool:

Heh heh. In all seriousness, I thought beekeepers wanted plumper queens. I mean, just look at her! She is beautiful, and as she is my first, I want her to be the best queen ever. I was under the impression the plumper, the better mated they are. I know that doesn't apply to her yet, I think she was newly emerged that day, just by going off what I saw and my instinct and dates. I am keen to know more about queens now. Their behaviour and such.

I want to show the thief how beekeeping is done ;)

Kaz
Only one problem i can see.....

When you marked her, you missed! and have just marked the bee's around her (well according to your pics) ;)

Kaz
Only one problem i can see.....

When you marked her, you missed! and have just marked the bee's around her (well according to your pics) ;)

LOL :svengo:

Thank you everyone, you have put my mind at rest. I watched a few videos of queens emerging and they looked longer to me, but she looked good, beautiful red legs, which is what drew my attention to her in the first place as I wasn't expecting a queen just yet.

Oh my word! Imagine how I'll be when it comes to marking her!? She's going to be the most pampered queen that ever lived :)

I'm off to read up on queens, see if " at the hive entrance " has anything about them, as I really want to know what their behaviour can tell me. I just love that ther eis so much to learn with beekeeping.

Kazz

I still remember the first post you made and you really do amaze me. I think you should call your first book "I wanted to show the thief how beekeeping is done"

Think it would be a best seller and an inspiration to others.

Heh heh, I will call my queen rearing company that title ;)

what are you going to call her

The teacher I work with wants to call her Queenie. Hmmm, I prefer Awesome Madge. To my friends she will be Awesome Madge lol. All my queens are named "something" Madge. :D

My Queen is Bess - is this a sad thing naming them? :blush5: Do you think we'll become too attached to them lol! Is it a female thing or do male beekeepers do it too?! Is it just new beekeepers or are there some of the more experienced ones of you out there with named queens?!

My Queen is Bess - is this a sad thing naming them? :blush5: Do you think we'll become too attached to them lol! Is it a female thing or do male beekeepers do it too?! Is it just new beekeepers or are there some of the more experienced ones of you out there with named queens?!

that would make an interesting poll lol.

It probably is a sad thing, but so what. I think as humans we tend to see human characteristics in our charges, be them cats, dogs or bees. It doesn't hurt, I know a lot of people talk to their bees too. Some people may find that crazy, but it helps me feel relaxed, and if I feel relaxed, then the bees seem to behave much better. If it works for us, then why knock it? :)

It's when we try and name every bee that people should worry ;)

Hi Kaz, just got back from checking my nuc that had a unemerged (is that a word!) queen in yesterday, and today she's emerged and the bees are taking down the emergency qcs they made. I spotted her and she looks a similar size to your queen. I think they get plumper after mating when they get into the full swing of laying. I'm going to leave alone now for 10 days or so to allow her to mate. Watch out for the workers hanging around the entrance sort of loitering when they want her to go on a flight and to encourage her back. My last nuc did this for 2-3 days and then they started coming and going more normally. 3 days later bingo eggs! and the weather hadnt been that good either!

Latest posts

Back