Hoselock type plastic fittings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
They always leak. So so so annoyong. When I was a lad, If a hose pipe connector leaked, we would fix it; not possible with these modern crappy plastic things. How much water goes down the drains wasted by these fittings?

Or is it just me?

No leaks here.

I never us them under stress.. always lots of hose..

They always leak. So so so annoyong. When I was a lad, If a hose pipe connector leaked, we would fix it; not possible with these modern crappy plastic things. How much water goes down the drains wasted by these fittings?

Or is it just me?

I have the same problem, as I am sure many others do. I resolved the issue by:

1) Using a bit of PTFE tape on the thread fitting, the amount you use will depend on how poor the thread tolerances are, or

2) Save up & buy the brass ones, much better!

have had hozelock fittings on a cheap hose pipe running 130ft down the garden to give us a tap at my shed/ferret court/polytunnel end for the last 6yrs, no leaks yet

Or is it just me?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you have needed to use a hosepipe THIS year?
Oh now I get it, to clean the mud off your car left by all the floods, NOT watering plant:D:D:D

I agree - the hozelock stuff is rubbish. I use old style threaded brass wherever I can. There is a fortune waiting to be made by someone that gets it right...

It's not the connection between the hose and the fitting, but the connections between hozelock devices. Tap to hose reel, hose reel to hose, end of hose to lance or pistol type thing. I'm talking about male hoselock fittings plugged into female hizelock fittings. Leaked since new, so its not the bleedin' O rings. It's not me. Not my fault, the stuff is crap!
Supercilious old farts!

The problem I have had is not the female/male joint but the thread between the locknut and the fitting, hence my ptfe suggestion. Also I have had more than one O ring fail in the past.

... so it would appear they are even more carp than we thought at first, as we seem to have different problems!

It's not the connection between the hose and the fitting, but the connections between hozelock devices. Tap to hose reel, hose reel to hose, end of hose to lance or pistol type thing. I'm talking about male hoselock fittings plugged into female hizelock fittings. Leaked since new, so its not the bleedin' O rings. It's not me. Not my fault, the stuff is crap!
Supercilious old farts!

Yep, mine all leak. Have done since new.

Sorry, guys.

I'm notoriously grouchy, but I can't get fired up about this one.

Hozelock are indeed cr*p - but I choose to use them because they appear, attached to things I buy. They're cheap, poorly made but sort of do the job and are easily changed when they get too irritating.

There's no one to blame but me for living with them.
If I cared enough, proper brass fittings are not that expensive and last a lifetime.

There are far too many more important things to worry about - like whether to use matchsticks or cocktail sticks to ventilate my hives.

Dusty.

There are far too many more important things to worry about - like whether to use matchsticks or cocktail sticks to ventilate my hives.

Dusty.

:iagree:

I think I might e-mail them suggesting they change the name to Hozeleak instead of Hozelock

I think I might e-mail them suggesting they change the name to Hozeleak instead of Hozelock

the fittings do lock parts together, though!
Hozeleak implies leaky hose, not the issue here.

they are called hozelock, not leak-free fittings company?

The clue is in the thread title

"Hoselock type"

One problem is 'compatibility' between any/every third-party supplier -- or copycat.

Another is the actual hose being connected. If the hose stretches over time to become a loose fit on the coupling, it isn't going to seal to a simple coupling fitting. Again cheapie hoses can be blamed. Chop it a couple of inches shorter and refit the coupling. Bitch at whoever selected it for purchase

Sticking principally to one brand (especially a premium brand, like er, Hoselock - though I favour Wilkinsons), avoiding cr@p hosepipe, and not using them for permanent connections delivers a pretty good user experience.
When I were a lad, such things didn't exist. So I regard them as quick and convenient - if temporary. And if you don't like them, go back to the old way with bits of metal pipe and rusty jubilee clips -- then see which you prefer!

a 6" length of 1/2" copper pipe with stainless 'jubilee clips' is the way forward if you want 'leak free' joints in hosepipe

Latest posts

Back