Hopeful Beginner!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terryc123

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Going to get this question done first!!!
First off, is 74 way too old to start beekeeping?? Obviously retired! Have lots of time on my hands. Have other questions and pictures ready to go!! Appreciate your advice

Going to get this question done first!!!
First off, is 74 way too old to start beekeeping?? Obviously retired! Have lots of time on my hands. Have other questions and pictures ready to go!! Appreciate your advice.
No reason why not, but the boxes are heavy when full of honey. Make sure you're able to lift and carry 35lbs comfortably.

:welcome:
I am 76.
As a beginner you are a mere youngster.....

Have a look at Dartington long deep hive. Half size supers and easier to work.
half supers aren't exclusive to Dartingtons, they can be made for any hive format - Thornes sell half supers for Nationals

How much is a Dartington hive ?
Most of them are self-build to Robin's plans ... so the cost of materials if you don't count your time ...probably a lot less than 2 half size supers. My LDH was nearly all reclaimed timber so the cost was screws, hinges and some CLS for the legs ... less than £20 when I built it and 13 years on still servicable.

You can knock together half supers for a National similarly?
exactly - if you have the skills to build your own hive, or even the skills of a dabbler - you could buy a few flatpack shallows, build them then chop away a 20mm strip from the centre of the box and give each 'half' a 10mm wall

I did do a beginners course in Kings Lynn but because of family circumstances I couldn’t continue! But I am ready now!!!
Cheers
I'm a member of West Norfolk & King's Lynn Beekeepers. They are a friendly lot. I recommend the Improvers Course if you can get on it, but it is possibly full already. I'm also in N Norfolk and I know of a lovely chap who is reducing the number of hives that he has and if you are interested in buying [complete with colony] he has posted an ad on the latest WN&KLBA news update.

Latest posts

Back