Hood on suit keeps getting stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cork beek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
hey everyone, as the title says, my bees suit hood keeps getting stung and im not sure what to do about it.

I recently got the new suit from BB wear (sage in colour) and from day one my bees keep stinging the 3rd band on the hood. They have completely ignored the 1st and 2nd bands.

I thought it may of been because it was a new suit/hood and after the first day of wearing it, there must of been at least 50+ stings. since then it has gotten worse, last week there was nearly 100+ stings in the 3rd band!

Ive tried boiling the hood in water with biological washing powder, then rubbing the band with soap and then rubbing vaseline in to it to mask any smell that may have gotten in the threads of the band. didnt work!

Today i rubbed in TCP (yes i know its an anti septic) but it has a very strong smell and was hoping that it would repell the bees. Well it didnt, believe it or not, i only got stung about 50 times again today (pictures attached)

At this stage, i dont know what to do, ive seen others who have the same suit as me from BB wear and they have to same problem and its not the colour, a friend of mine has the exact same one as me, but he got his from Sheriff and he doesnt have any problems like i do.

Its driving the bees crazy, at one point, i had to walk away from a hive and the bees followed me for about 100 yards! When i went to go back, i got about 50 feet from the hive and boom, they were on me again. im thinking of emailing BB wear to see what they have to say about it.

Any suggestions?

DSCF1231.jpg

DSCF1229.jpg

I have the same suit but no probs with stings

Have you told bbwear about this?

I was just thinking about buying exactly that model (as my recent visiting BDI wore one) but that gives me second thoughts!

It's the one closest to your face. Sounds like defensive bees, have you tried another suit to see what they react like?

Have you told bbwear about this?

I was just thinking about buying exactly that model (as my recent visiting BDI wore one) but that gives me second thoughts!

I'm emailing them now to see what they have to say about it. not holding my breath thou!

My BB wear hood does exactly the same thing. But maybe not as bad.

Have you tried citronella? Wouldn't be toxic to the bees but may help with the smell?

It's the one closest to your face. Sounds like defensive bees, have you tried another suit to see what they react like?

I wore my half jacket one i got last year and didnt have a problem. in fact ive never had a problem like this.

Like i was saying in my original post, i saw some one last week at a demo in my local association who had the exact same colour and got his from BB wear and they were stinging the 3rd band on his as well.

i even thought after the first day that maybe sweat got on it and they were reacting to that so i now wear a fisherman hat inside my hood now but hasnt helped

My BB wear hood does exactly the same thing. But maybe not as bad.

Have you tried citronella? Wouldn't be toxic to the bees but may help with the smell?

ive been looking in to herbal bee repellents to see if i can make my own, there are some im gonna try for next time i go out to see if they work

and i havent tried citronella, i must see if i can get a hold of some of it

So what do you think then colour or material or combination of colours, smell or something else as I was going to buy one this week but not the hoody style but the same colour

I have exactly the same suit in the same colour with no problems at all. I do have one hive of aggressive bees and they do sting the suit but mainly the first band, I assume this is because it's nearest my face.

If you have another suit, why not unzip the BB wear hood and carry it with you and see if they attack it without you in it.

I have 2 suits of the same colour and have had no problems in 3 years.
I assume you remove all lthe stings before washing.
I mix 50:50 washing soda and washing powder. The soda usually removes the sting pheromone.
Strange they only go for the 3rd band.

Should add I have same suit, same colour and not had this. Good idea to take the hood along on inspection, take some pics to send BBwear if they go for it.

So what do you think then colour or material or combination of colours, smell or something else as I was going to buy one this week but not the hoody style but the same colour

I think its the material in the 3rd band my self, ive tried my half jacket and also a different hood with no problems. confused.com! lol

I have exactly the same suit in the same colour with no problems at all. I do have one hive of aggressive bees and they do sting the suit but mainly the first band, I assume this is because it's nearest my face.

If you have another suit, why not unzip the BB wear hood and carry it with you and see if they attack it without you in it.

good idea nonstandard! ill try that next week and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back