Honeybee Epidemiology Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyspearfish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all

I am a student at the University of Exeter who will be conducting a project on bee epidemiology for my final year project. As a brief outline, I wish to survey a quantity of bee keepers across the UK, asking them to provide samples of comb, propolis, honey, brood and adult bee and complete a questionnaire relating to the general health of their hives in relation to diseases such as nosema, the various brood diseases and prevalence of varroa. I want to then analyse the various samples for concentrations of chemical agents such as neonicotinoids and cross reference the results with the questionnaires, eventually discussing any emerging trends. I would also find it interesting to see if the samples contained any agents that seemed to correlate with a reduced rate of disease prevalence. The results of the questionnaires would be anonymous. I feel that this is an important undertaking as it may provide insight into how certain chemicals, such a pesticides, may be affecting British honeybees and also invaluable data for future research.

If you are interested in participating, please PM or email me ([email protected]) with your name and address and I will send out a sampling pack containing the questionairre, sample bags and a pre-paid envelope in which to return everything, later this year.

Thank you in advance
Benjamin

Further, if your profile does not state the number of hives you have, please advise in your response.

Latest posts

Back