Honey Refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borderer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had problems with heather honey fermenting in the jar. I am assuming that is because the moisture content was too high, so I am thinking of buying a refractometer for this summer. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the £12 to £20 versions on a well known auction site or should I bite the bullet and invest in an expensive one.

Hi

I got my £12 refractometer from a nice chap from Hong kong from a well known auction site 4 years ago.

Totally accurate and only took 3 days to get here.

:)

Thanks for the quick reponses and for pointing me to an earlier thread. It has helped with my decision.

Who's pocket is the money better in? Yours. You would likely be buying a very similar product, anyway. Even, if calibrated slightly inaccurately, all things are relative. They are easily calibrated, or checked for accuracy.

Mine cost me more but it was still under half price of the 'usual' supplier back several years ago. Still works perfectly well.

Don't use it very often - for those without one, allowing the full bucket of honey to crystallise is a very good indication. If it is wet on the surface, feed it back soonest!

Regards, RAB

Same experience as Onge, had mine 2 years, accurate and works a treat.

Latest posts

Back