Honey - more effective than conventional medicine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is if you consider the 🐝 hours (and 🐝 keeper hours) that go into producing the final product.
That’s also ignoring the danger money aspect of some 🐝s

Quote......................
The earliest recorded medical prescription including honey is from Sumer. Honey was used as a remedy against a variety of illnesses in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. There are frequent references to honey in sacred texts. Honey has a long tradition, not only in Western medicine but also in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda. Honey was not commonly used by medical practitioners after the fall of the Roman Empire. In medieval times honey was not a popular subject of medical texts and very little was written on its use in that period. In the nineteenth century honey was neglected due to the development of modern synthetic medicine. Its comeback has, however, been observable as early as the beginnings of the twentieth century, and honey has been used again as a remedy for a variety of health problems and an excellent wound healer.

Honey was not commonly used by medical practitioners after the fall of the Roman Empire. In medieval times honey was not a popular subject of medical texts and very little was written on its use in that period.
It has always been held in high regard as a medicine in Wales. The laws of Hywel Dda (10th century) had a section devoted to bees and mead making the Physicians of Myddfai who were around in the 13th Century used honey in many of their cures. In fact, the Welsh for physician 'Meddyg' is derived from 'Medd', the Welsh for mead.

Last edited:
There was one disturbing fact: they believe that honey is cheap.
A 300mm bottle of Benylin costs £8.95 on line, and probably more over the counter. Most of us sell our honey at around £5 to £6 for a 340 gram jar, which would probably last longer than the Benylin if used only in the same circumstances. So it is comparatively cheap as a treatment for upper respiratory tract infections.
Honey also tastes better than Benylin when eaten with porage.

Honey also tastes better than Benylin when eaten with porage.
But Benilyn will do as a tonic substitute when stuck in Warsash Maritime school with no all night shops when everyone brought plenty of gin and lemons but forgot the schweppes.

Quote......................
The earliest recorded medical prescription including honey is from Sumer. Honey was used as a remedy against a variety of illnesses in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. There are frequent references to honey in sacred texts. Honey has a long tradition, not only in Western medicine but also in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda. Honey was not commonly used by medical practitioners after the fall of the Roman Empire. In medieval times honey was not a popular subject of medical texts and very little was written on its use in that period. In the nineteenth century honey was neglected due to the development of modern synthetic medicine. Its comeback has, however, been observable as early as the beginnings of the twentieth century, and honey has been used again as a remedy for a variety of health problems and an excellent wound healer.

As a wound healer it is only used as a last resort when all other remedies have failed...

As a wound healer it is only used as a last resort when all other remedies have failed...
Oh yes? A few years ago I read a paper about hospitals using honey for treating wounds and bad burns. I also knew a nurse that worked at the QE11 hospital in Birmingham. She was on a 'military wing' sometimes, when things were bad in Afghanistan a few years back. They often used sterile honey-raps for various things. I got the impression that it was becoming more of a 'first resort!' Whilst on this subject I tell people that local, raw honey that is not heat treated, should be seen as much as a medicine than a nice food substance. As for the new 'plague'..........who knows what role honey could have?

well I think this is going to be a nightmare. Now every man and his dog will now tell you the benefits of honey like their some kind of expert and you’ve never seen the news!! I’m just getting over the “mite experts” that tell you “there’s a mite that kills bees” like I don’t know!!! Then they insist on tellIng you all they’ve heard on the news 🥱and won’t listen to you. Now it’s going to be the same with honey. They’ll all be cough medicine experts. 😞

well I think this is going to be a nightmare. Now every man and his dog will now tell you the benefits of honey like their some kind of expert and you’ve never seen the news!! I’m just getting over the “mite experts” that tell you “there’s a mite that kills bees” like I don’t know!!! Then they insist on tellIng you all they’ve heard on the news 🥱and won’t listen to you. Now it’s going to be the same with honey. They’ll all be cough medicine experts. 😞
Lemon Glycerine and Honey cough syrup is what I gave my kids ....it tasted nice compared to the majority of cough mixtures available. It also came in lozenge form too.

Funny you should say that: Just had one man and his dog tell me this morning that today's paper says honey gives you antibodies towards covid!

Oh yes? A few years ago I read a paper about hospitals using honey for treating wounds and bad burns. I also knew a nurse that worked at the QE11 hospital in Birmingham. She was on a 'military wing' sometimes, when things were bad in Afghanistan a few years back. They often used sterile honey-raps for various things. I got the impression that it was becoming more of a 'first resort!' Whilst on this subject I tell people that local, raw honey that is not heat treated, should be seen as much as a medicine than a nice food substance. As for the new 'plague'..........who knows what role honey could have?

I had some used on me recently. Open would leg ulcers, it achieved the aim which was to dry the would up quickly but boy was it painful. The dastardly Manuka honey of course. here it is: Actilite - Activon - Manuka Honey dressings

Great! Just sell a him a couple of jars.
Sadly, I am sold out apart from my blended heather honey and I don't think he would like that covid antibodies or not.

Not really - it is used quite regularly and there is a lot of research going on at the University of Wales as to further uses. In fact it was at the burns unit in Cardiff that the efficacy of Manuka was discovered/demonstated when Peter Molan a Welsh born and educated New Zealand biochemist (the person attributed with the 'discovery' of manuka's properties) sent a sample over to his surgeon brother to try on a 90 degree burns victim.
The Cardiff pharmocological school has a whole section devoted to honey and is working closely with the National Botanic Gardens on plant DNA fingerprinting.

I had some used on me recently. Open would leg ulcers, it achieved the aim which was to dry the would up quickly but boy was it painful. The dastardly Manuka honey of course. here it is: Actilite - Activon - Manuka Honey dressings
One of the scientific research hypothesis is that sterile honey wrapps are basically sugar and therefore you don't need honey. Also I don't believe sterilisation kills botulism which has a remote chance of being present and therefore it is used as a treatment of last resort. As you say, it is basically used to dry up the wound. Seems more pleasant then leaches anyway. Any qualified medics out there that can comment/verify.

Latest posts

Back