Honey monitoring sample

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Just got the results from the sample of honey, sent off to the National Honey Monitoring Scheme, which I took on 1/8/18.

The first 5 plants are as follows.

Brassica rapa (turnip) 31%
Brassica oleracea (caggage). 30%
Clemitis vitalba (travellers joy). 18%
Brassica napa (rape). 7%
Rubus (bramble). 5%

I extracted a spring crop straight away after the rape (that was all around the apiary) so was surprised that there was so much brassica evident in the sample!

This honey is the only one of my 4 apiaries that has not crystallised and the spring crop hadn't crystallised months later when I wanted to make set honey.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Does it show the water content? I would have thought that all those would have set to some extent. Any lime/fuschia in the remaining 9%
Did you have to pay for the sample. Sounds quite interesting.
E

It has a water content of 20%, (the sample was probably taken from a frame not fully sealed, the extracted honey was 16.2% when put in jars)
No lime or fuchsia in the sample.
The test was free and part of the National Honey Monitoring Scheme who asked for volunteers to take samples last year.

I received my first sample back today

Honey from June ‘18 with a 16.8% moisture content

40% bramble, 38% Borage - this was a surprise as I hadn’t seen any planted locally, so am wondering if someone has a load in a local garden or some guerilla gardening...

Also had some interesting plants like sea mayweed, trumpet creeper, hemlock water-dropwart and hop !

Obviously just one sample out of 20 hives that were there at the time - I wonder what the mix would be from the other colonies ?

KR

S

honey monitoring

Was quite surprised to find the main component of my honey was Weld. Had to look it up. Was used years ago as a dye. Thought my honey had a slight green tinge but tasted delicious

Latest posts

Back