Honey Labelling - Origin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All... I am considering the labelling of my honey, for sale. Ideally, I would like to indicate the area of provenance on the label. E.g. "Trumpton Honey" - much in the same way Martha Kearney labelled hers as "Barton Grange Honey" (in spite of the OSR content, which was clearly from further afield).

Regulations state that - in respect of regional, territorial or topographical origin, this is OK, as long as the honey comes ENTIRELY from the indicated source.

Does anybody know if this relates to the area of forage, or the area in which the apiary is sited? Within a 3 mile radius of my apiary, there are not only other villages, but there is also another county.

If it's area of forage, then the best I could think would be to simply label as "Local Honey" ... supplemented by the obligatory name and address, to qualify that.

Maybe I'm overthinking this ! Thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Local to what ? it depends where you sell it. You can brand your honey what ever you want, Redwood honey, natural honey, but if you label it Irish honey then it must come from Ireland. I don't think people would want to label their honey Rape honey (it might give the wrong impression) more likely to be blossom honey
The address on the label is only where it is produced (factory or home extraction location)

I have a similar scenario, two apiaries within two miles so I will be thinking of a brand name thats common for both, probably something in Welsh with English subtitles

Area of forage generally. I don't think you would be put in prison if you had an apiary in Trumpton and called your honey Trumpton honey and then one of your bees flew over to Camberwick Green three miles down the road and brought some nectar back.

Thxxnes and several other suppliers sell them based upon regulation requirements. Some surfing needed.

Use a bit of common sense.

As I see it the labelling regulations exist to protect the consumer from mis-labelling.

ie I buy honey in bulk from Cornwall and label it as "Yorkshire Honey" or visa versa.

I think no one is going to argue with you putting "Trumpton Honey" on your jars if you bees are based there as the majority of the nectar will have been gathered locally.

What you cannot do is label Honey as mono-floral unless you can be sure 80% or more is from that plant!

Being as I have 4 manuka bushes planted within 3yrds of my hives do you think I should get a pollen analysis done and label my honey as Manuka?

To be honest I never saw a single honey bee on the Manuka last year but the bumbles seem to love it.

I would rip up the manuka bushes. Tastes awful honey. And a lot of b.....s that it is much more beneficial medically

Yes, I don't know how Martha kept a straight face tasting that 50 quid jar!!!!!

Didn't he say it was only predominately from the manuka bush on the show?

Being as I have 4 manuka bushes planted within 3yrds of my hives do you think I should get a pollen analysis done and label my honey as Manuka?

To be honest I never saw a single honey bee on the Manuka last year but the bumbles seem to love it.

I met a beekeeper in New South Wales who had planted lots of Teatree bushes and was hoping to get a premium price for the honey from that apiary. Last year he had his first "Manuka" honey and sent samples to three testing houses to assess the Manuka Factor. They each came back with a different result so he concluded that the Unique Manuka Factor was a bit of Kiwi smoke and mirrors to get rid of honey that tastes pretty awful. Good luck to them if somebody's prepared to pay big bucks for it but surely there is some real science somewhere in all this?

CVB

Who is the clever one though .... £50 for a tiny jar of pretty awful tasting honey ? Beats the hell out of what most on here get for the 'proper' local honey .... Plant a few Teatree bushes around your apiaries and sell it for £25 a small jar on the basis 'Contains honey from Manuka'.

Seems like there's enough people out there convinced of its efficacy to cash in on a marketing opportunity !

Plant a few Teatree bushes around your apiaries and sell it for £25 a small jar on the basis 'Contains honey from Manuka'.

Easy enough in Hampshire where you have acid soil but up here in Bath I had to construct an acid bed for the plants, still they do flower well and look quite good.

...I would like to indicate the area of provenance on the label. E.g. "Trumpton Honey" - much in the same way Martha Kearney labelled hers as "Barton Grange Honey" (in spite of the OSR content, which was clearly from further afield).

Regulations state that - in respect of regional, territorial or topographical origin, this is OK, as long as the honey comes ENTIRELY from the indicated source...
The rules are in "The Honey (England) Regulations 2003" http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2243/made Minor amendments from 2005 and 2007 don't change the geographic requirements. The legislation and the DEFRA "Guidance Notes" to the Honey Regulations (2003) http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/honeyguidance.pdf both also refer to the "Food Labelling Regulations 1996" http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/contents/made This applies to the the packer more than than the producer and is where the packer's contact address etc are covered. The Guidance Notes come with a warning that legal interpretation is for the courts, but they are a pretty good basis for your reading of the statutes if Trading Standards question what you have on the label. As devolved legislation the links are English; there are equivalents elsewhere.

As 4.1(ii) on page 12 of the notes says, the country is mandatory, but not defined. Not very helpful. In practice country could be, but is not always the equivalent of EU member state. As it suggests, "Produce of England" or "Produce of UK" would be fine but you'd have a hard time justifying Trumptonshire as a "country".

If you want to have a narrower geographical range, that's in 4.3 "Optional labelling information" on page 14.
(ii) Regional, territorial or topographical origin: provided that the honey comes entirely from the indicated source.
Which doesn't really help when bees range over political boundaries. The established practice of adding a county, as seen on many bought in labels, only seems to be covered in the written advice that says it also needs a country in 4.1 -
Therefore honey that is harvested in Wiltshire could include a statement such as “Wiltshire Honey” on the label.
That would argue that the "harvest" is the relevant factor. I would suggest "harvest" is basically the hive position; taking supers from Wiltshire to Norfolk to extract doesn't make "Norfolk Honey". It is probably within the general provision of not attempting to "mislead", as used in the references to country. If your hives are all in Trumpton, then "Trumpton Honey" is justified, even if they visit the OSR at Chigley. Just as I would think that "Barton Grange Honey" would mean the hives are at Barton Grange but obviously the bees go further than the four acres they sit on and the extraction could be a few miles away. If you move the hives to the OSR at Chigley, then you might be better using "Trumptonshire". BTW Gordon Murray said in an interview Chigley, Trumpton and Camberwick Green are in an equilateral triangle, 1.5 miles apart from each other.

The question of how you could use labels based on region, territory, topography or even ancient geography or fiction is left open. For instance East Anglia, Wessex, Chilterns, Jurassic Coast or Herriot country. Again, the basic test is probably the intention to deceive. If it's not a current political boundary you might need some references from bodies such as the local tourist office to back up your answer to Trading Standards.

Last edited:
Heather, that seems like quite an over reaction.

There is plenty of science regarding the health benefits of Manuka honey, particularly on wounds. Feel free to research about it and discuss with me.

Rob

"There is plenty of science regarding the health benefits of Manuka honey, particularly on wounds. Feel free to research about it and discuss with me."

likewise any honey.

the thing with manuka is that it was a second class unmarketable crop.
some bright person comes up with a scientific sounding measure of a property of the honey (which it has as it is a honey) and bob's your proverbial - a great marketing tool.

sure all honeys vary in their content of active, non-sugar ingredients but at the end of the day this is just ripping off the gullible.

There is plenty of science regarding the health benefits of Manuka honey, particularly on wounds.

So does Savlon - they both taste sh!t on toast though (although IMHO Savlon is the better option).

I agree with Heather on this one just a good snake oil selling ploy. It has now been proven (work done by the univeristy of Wales and Edinburgh) that there are honeys in the UK in certain areas (Tywyn on Cardigan Bay and Portobello on the Forth) that are more beneficial health wise than manooki.

For everyone's information I also think New Zealand Lamb and gorilla b*ll*x (AKA Kiwi fruit - bearing in mind that one major producer is Welsh so I'm not being insular!)) are the devil's work and carry no flavour worth experiencing :D

Easy enough in Hampshire where you have acid soil but up here in Bath I had to construct an acid bed for the plants, still they do flower well and look quite good.

Hampshire - acid soil? Have you any idea how much chalk we have around here!

:nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014:

Latest posts

Back