Honey Country of Origin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncorne

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My honey complies with the rules that says it is from England. I fully understand why people want to know where their produce is from. My label actually identifies the village where the bees live.

So, why do the major stores label their honey as "produce of EU and non EU countries"? This information is pretty value-free! They may as well say it comes from places but we won't tell you where!

Where DOES it come from, anyway?

Jc

Hi John

It all comes from Brussels, when it was first introduced I contacted our local trading standards. The reply I got was to use 'UK' 'Produce of UK' or just 'UK origin' would be fine. Now I know there can be different local interpretations of rules.
The main point he put across was that the 'UK' was the member nation of the EU not our local area of England.
On your other question of the EU or non EU, I think it is just manufacturers covering there backs within the rules. Imagine if you were making up blend but labeling the exact countries it came from, and ran out say osr from France so you then substituted it from a new source all your labels would have to change.

Back