Honey colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi, I've given some honey to a lovely elderly lady that lives in the hamlet and she has just phoned me to say thankyou.
She was saying that the lighter the honey the better it is. She said she was reading this in one of her old books how true is this?
What do you think?
Cheers

I don’t really think any honey is better look at the kiwis for years they did not have the huge market for manuka, clover was king. It’s rather personal taste a nice chunk of lime cut comb is good but I prefer the darker late summer crop from the sweet chestnut. Personally it’s darker the better for me.

The colour depends on the forage as you know so it comes down to preference. Lighter honeys are more delicate in taste and aroma?
I prefer robust darker spring honey but don’t often get it in any quantity ( Don’t count OSR)

The colour depends on the forage as you know so it comes down to preference. Lighter honeys are more delicate in taste and aroma?
I prefer robust darker spring honey but don’t often get it in any quantity ( Don’t count OSR)

Horse chestnut in full bloom on some of the sunny south facing slopes of the
greatgreygreenslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithillegalsecondhomecodididiots!!

what colour will the honey be?...... have about 20 supers filling at the moment

Don’t think the colour makes it better or worse. I put it down to personal taste and the fact more people seem to “eat with their eyes”. Looks good to eat it will taste good. Doesn’t look appealing, I won’t like the taste. I prefer dark honey and I think that it’s because I like heather honey, hence any dark honeys I think it’ll taste like heather honey. Only met one person who detested heather honey but preferred light honey. Each to their own.

I'm no connoisseur but i have to agree with Erichalfbee.

After being dragged up on my mothers cooking I have no real knowledge of fine cuisine. Years of boiled potatoes, covered in bacon fat and garden peas have had their tole on my taste buds. In fact hardly a Sunday dinner went past with out my dad slinging his meal at the living room wall in a drunken rage, just empathises how bad a cook she was. Happy Days, but I digress.

I've just extracted a lovely light golden brown honey that i presume is mostly dandelion. No OSR in the area just fields they use for hay making. It was a carpet of yellow not so long back. A nice taste but not as strong or as heavy as summer honey.

Agree that people 'eat with their eyes'.

Spot on. As mentioned elsewhere Clover was always the favoured honey, especially a lightly set one with oodles of real butter on warm toast.

Generally the darker the honey the stronger the flavour/aroma. That said, Lime honey, which is light in colour, takes some beating. Honey judges always start judging the light honey classes before moving onto medium, dark and ling heather ones to prevent sensory fatigue of the taste buds and olfactory cells and take breaks frlom tasting to allow them to recover by judging non tasting classes like photos. Many of the general public (Non curry eaters?) seem to prefer bland honies like OSR, clover, H. Balsam, Borage over those with a strong flavour.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replys..
I have a preferred taste for Heather honey when I was younger I can remember my grandad having different honeys. I can vaguely remember literally falling head first into a settling tank full of the stuff I got covered in the stuff. I then remember being stood in the back kitchen with dripping hair and my grandad then chasing me up the garden with his crook shouting absenitys at me.
Every time I see Heather honey it reminds me of this.
So for me Heather honey has a special place in my heart.
By the way he caught me and cracked me across the back side with his crook.
Funny how looking and smelling things bring back memory from the past.
Cheers

Thanks all for the replys..
I have a preferred taste for Heather honey when I was younger I can remember my grandad having different honeys. I can vaguely remember literally falling head first into a settling tank full of the stuff I got covered in the stuff. I then remember being stood in the back kitchen with dripping hair and my grandad then chasing me up the garden with his crook shouting absenitys at me.
Every time I see Heather honey it reminds me of this.
So for me Heather honey has a special place in my heart.
By the way he caught me and cracked me across the back side with his crook.
Funny how looking and smelling things bring back memory from the past.
Cheers

That DID make me laugh out loud!!! Oh changed days!!! Sounded like it was out a carry on film!!

That DID make me laugh out loud!!! Oh changed days!!! Sounded like it was out a carry on film!!
I'm glad that brightened your day bear..
I could tell you some story's.. From the past on the farm.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Back