Holnest Park Dorset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Nothing to do with bees!(one of my winter projects which is now extending into April :xmas-smiley-010:)

Does anyone have information on Holnest Park in the 19th century?? I've searched the web intensively, so I'm meaning printed matter and/or photographs etc.

Would be great, thanks.

Hi Clare,
Sorry can't help but just been listening to Radio 4 "Woman's Hour" (sorry) re: 'Country houses in time of war' is a new exhibition commemorating the beginning of the First World War 100 years ago'. Maybe they can point you in the right direction?
Woman's Hour

I expect you've tried the County Record Office and Local History groups? There are also, often, postcards of big houses.

Thank you to all for taking time to give it a think.
@ Russel no need to apologize for Woman's Hour :) This all started with something I heard on Radio 4!
@ MM Special thanks for the good ideas on the National Archives and Charborough. The Wicked Squire is just what I was looking for. My great great grandfather was born 1843 in Holnest and became a gamekeeper. One of his census records show that the family was living in Sandling, Kent, probably he was working at Sandling House. I was wondering what had induced them to move so far. So the snippet "In fact, the Sawbridges were a wealthy landed family in their own right with a large estate at Olantigh near Wye in Kent" may well be a fruitful hint. I shall certainly follow this up! It could well be the missing link. Thanks

Latest posts

Back