Holidays and Foundation numbers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still keen on this, as mentioned before in Basingstoke so happy to be hub in this area. Also OK to pickup from you Pete.

I am still keen on this, as mentioned before in Basingstoke so happy to be hub in this area. Also OK to pickup from you Pete.

and if you can't come to me, I am sure i'll come to you.... i have family in basingstoke and an ex-wife :)reddevil: who i try to avoid!)

I suspect that getting this organised nationally may be a step too far initially.

Would it be a good idea for Admin to create a series of regional forums that folks could register what they are interested in bulk buying, eg foundation, jars, and then hopefully organise themselves. I know many local associations do this but this could lead to some substantial orders (though sadly not my 70 odd sheets as I got too impatient:auto:)

and if you can't come to me, I am sure i'll come to you.... i have family in basingstoke and an ex-wife :)reddevil: who i try to avoid!)

Does anyone travel West from Basingstoke? I'm Bournemouth/Ringwood area; and for me (or anyone) to make a special trip would probably cost more than the saving on the foundation.

PeteN, you don't have an auntie in Bournemouth do you?

It seems that RAB was wise to move when he did and saved both the VAT and price increase for his small buying group.

Sometimes you have to just get on with things. I seem to recollect that PH seemed to indicate a degree of disappointment when RAB went with his order earlier than anticipated. How disappointed now are those that were waiting on a rabbit coming out of the hat as arranged?

Life goes on.

Got mine in Dec I can not afford to wait for a bus that never arrives

i lost 2.5% due to the VAT increase, but on the flipside I would not have wanted to spend hundreds of pounds just before xmas on foundation. (and I probably would have had another ex-wife as I had only just spent a fortune in the Thornes sale!)

I am not ordering enough (for me) to hit the 20% discount, so clubbing together, from my point of view IS worth it, even now.

The threshold to get 20% discount from KBS is a £400, and the delivery is a little cheaper. KBS tell me they do not offer bigger discounts for bigger bulk.

Anyone that wants to spend more than £400 on foundation, it is worth them going alone for convenience, and the only thing that they pay for on top is delivery.

My primary aim is to buy foundation (which I will do anyway!), and if I can get over £400's worth and get the discount, great stuff... if I can help out other likeminded beekeepers in the process, also great stuff.

There is certainly no resentment for others that want to do their own thing. I really don't blame them.

My 'bus' is being ordered at the end of this week (Friday). I will create a new post tonight and any local (ish) beekeepers that want to bolt their order on, they are welcome.

If anyone knows of a good company that sells good foundation and offers better discounts for bigger bulk, I am all ears!:bigear:

Well Hombre I am disappointed too but I am carrying a load and a half here.

I set out with the bet of intentions, but life has a nasty habit of interfering.

Before taking pokes have a god look in the mirror and ask what did I do to help?

PH

Pete (+Steve),
I'm up for it too. I won't be adding a lot to the order (probably need 30 sheets of Langstroth Deep).

Is this a good place to get it? I missed the genesis of this thread. I'd rather pay a little more and get the foundation with least funny chemicals in it.

FG

I run an 11 roomed guest house with my wife who currently has a slipped disc.

We start at 6am, and the normal day is 16 hours to 18. We work 7 days a week, and so hols are rather precious.

We also have property which is what is causing issues at the moment.

In between I work the bees, garden, do maintenance and post on here.

Possibly I was cutting it fine with the foundation but the willing horse...

PH

It was a nice idea, but the fact of the geographical spread of members was always going to be an issue. No point saving £20, then spending £20 in petrol collecting it from someone in the next county. Would it be possible to have a map of members (like locating your nearest kwikfit), so that clusters could organise themselves into buying groups?

Skyhook, no relatives in Bournmouth, could always meet halfway if nobody is going that way.

Peteinwilts,

The threshold to get 20% discount from KBS is a £400, and the delivery is a little cheaper.

Has this changed since December 2010? I thought it was £150+ for 10%, £300+ for 20% and £400+ for no delivery charges, when I ordered mine in December.

If so, that is some considerable advancement in prices for some who are ordering now!

Regards, RAB

Yes Rab it has just changed,Peter has just altered his website in the last few days to show the changes.

if people are buying less than £400, then it is a big advancement in prices. if more, there is little difference... only the delivery charge.

... and i am going to try and am going ask if that can be waived if the order is a fair amount over £400

I can't comment if the price has gone up on the foundation excluding the VAT.

regardless it is spilt milk. I was still not buying foundation until after xmas so would still be paying anyway... if the VAT is the only thing that has gone up for a £400 order, then that is only an extra tenner anyway.

My order was for c. £525 gross.

That would have likely added around thirty five quid, (or possibly a lttle more, dependent on whether the carriage charges are gross or nett?) to the cost. About 8 1/2 % . So the actual cost including the yearly increase would be rather more than 'only an extra tenner' for you I think. I just don't like spilling milk!

RAB

My order was for c. £525 gross.

That would have likely added around thirty five quid, (or possibly a lttle more, dependent on whether the carriage charges are gross or nett?) to the cost. About 8 1/2 % . So the actual cost including the yearly increase would be rather more than 'only an extra tenner' for you I think. I just don't like spilling milk!

RAB

I was always crap at working such things out.... so keeping it VERY basic (please!)

'If' I were to buy £100 of Foundation (without VAT) and VAT was added before xmas, it would have cost me £117.50.
if' I did the same this year it was cost me £120. A difference of £2.50

4x (400) £2.50 = £10...

... so spending £480 now is costing £10 more than if I have done it last year.

My maths isn't fantastic, but I can't see where £35 comes from?!?!

(over £500 it is free delivery under the new price regime :) )

I did. It did. And by about that much(including all three elements).:)

I did. It did. And by about that much(including all three elements).:)

ahha! then you had additional information, which is cheating! :p

Latest posts

Back