Holes in supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Intrigued. I started prepping for the new season today: checked through the equipment, including half a dozen drawn supers from last year, all nice and tightly wrapped. Opened up the wrapping and found they all had big holes in the middle.

It's not wax moth - there's no sign of that mess they leave behind, no cocoon shapes in the frames, no webbing, and no live adults or larvae. What did this?
IMG_20200323_162320.jpg

Looks very much like a mouse or a shrew to me .. they eat the wax. Not as tightly wrapped as you thought ? It only needs a tiny hole for a shrew to get in - I suspect if you look a bit closer at the wrapping you will find there's a hole somewhere.

Ah ... Brian beat me to it !

Thanks! Little blighters - ruined some lovely drawn comb... Never mind, I'll render it down and turn it into something.

No real need to render it down. Your colony will probably patch the holes for you. You could even graft pieces of foundation in if you feel the need to give a helping hand.

Oh well, too late! The wax is already in a black placcy bag, awaiting the big melt. I didn't realise the bees would be able to fill in holes that big. Next time...

As mice continually pee as they crawl, melting it down and inserting new wax in the cleaned frames would be my choice.

As mice continually pee as they crawl, melting it down and inserting new wax in the cleaned frames would be my choice.

No, they are not incontinent. Like many mammals they pee to mark territory, and your nose makes it pretty clear when they have done so. Surely there are are worse contaminants than a trace of mouse pee, and in my experience the bees clean and polish all combs anyhow.

I consider (organic?) mouse wee wee a minor worry. Think on this. My neighbour working on his car engine spilt coolant all over the driveway. Bees (by proximity, definitely including mine) were soon there sucking it up. I don't know whether it was the water or whatsit glycol which attracted them, but there they were, and that is probably in my hives now. I have also seen how many honeybees sup water at the local sewage treatment plant...

No, they are not incontinent. Like many mammals they pee to mark territory, and your nose makes it pretty clear when they have done so. Surely there are are worse contaminants than a trace of mouse pee, and in my experience the bees clean and polish all combs anyhow.

I consider (organic?) mouse wee wee a minor worry. Think on this. My neighbour working on his car engine spilt coolant all over the driveway. Bees (by proximity, definitely including mine) were soon there sucking it up. I don't know whether it was the water or whatsit glycol which attracted them, but there they were, and that is probably in my hives now. I have also seen how many honeybees sup water at the local sewage treatment plant...

Clearly I am in the company of kings, I bow to thee

Unlikely to be a shrew as they are carnivores/insectivores.

Oh well, too late! The wax is already in a black placcy bag, awaiting the big melt. I didn't realise the bees would be able to fill in holes that big. Next time...
Bees can make big bits of comb! It's what they do.

I think you are hopeful that they will repair it nicely! Depends how picky you are!
E

Oh Manek, of course those bees would fill the holes..but if you are in frame making mood..... just leave some at the apiary! :welcome:

Latest posts

Back