Hives too full of stores in the Spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I think I will have to remove some filled (probably crystalized ivy and mustard honey) Brood frames in the spring. The hive is still extremely heavy, admittedly it has a super (under the BB of drone foundation) of this crystallize honey and hopefully it is the super with the most stores left. I have not fed this hive and have not given any fondant. I was proposing if necessary to change some frames with foundation at the first spring inspection. I would then store the removed frames for feeding to nucs later in the year.

As this is such a strong colony I will place a new super or BB of foundation under the BB when required.

Is this a good plan? What alternatives are there?

Mike

Are bees flying? Has been known for bees to struggle with using ivy stores if solidly crystallised.
Should be ok if they have been out for water.. but please be aware.

They have been out a couple of days ago, but doubt if they will be out in the near future as it is snowing.

I have left my inspection board in to see what varroa drop I have. I have noticed lines of cappings, so they should be OK. The stores are a mixture of mustard and ivy and have a very fine crystal. My other 2 hives were fed in September but took little down. I have given them a pack of Ambrosia each, but little has been taken, again these have lines of cappings on the inspection boards.

Mike, you have winter there and bees are in winter rest. No hurry to do anything.

Perhaps in March bees need more brooding space and weathers are so good that you may open the hive.

Mike, you have winter there and bees are in winter rest. No hurry to do anything.

Perhaps in March bees need more brooding space and weathers are so good that you may open the hive.
Finman
I will not do anything until March, just trying to simulate some conversation on the forum.

I am envious of you living in Helsinki, wonderful city. The winters would now be too cold for me now, after experiencing -30 in Northern Russia.

Mike

I know exactly what you mean re having an excess of brood frames full of stores in the early Spring - After the first inspection I remove the outer full frames, move the others outwards and put a frame of foundation next to the first frame with signs of brood, which could just be empty polished cells.

With only a couple of hives that I can closely monitor this works for me

Richard

Surprising how fast colonies go through stores once the weather warms up.

As Tom.....also, if you leave the stores in there but add a super later in the year, the bees will move the stores from the brood area to the super to make more room for the queen to lay. As I have said before, for some reason this second move by the bees where they re digest the honey seems to make it less solid the second time round, I have even found that it is possible to extract it later in the year with the rest of the 'new' honey! However this was rape and I am not sure I would want ivy in with my main crop! Personal taste!
Try different methods with different hives to see what works for you!
E

I await the brooding season, when stores will be depleted more quickly. I would then make a decision based on observation. Always better than making cast iron plans which are often simply wrong. Heft gently feed if light, but otherwise leave them in peace. They got by without human interference for millions of years.

If there are too much stores after winter, the most simple thing is to take those 2 extra frames off. That is not a miracle.

There is a danger that if the colony has not enough laying space, it gets very early swarming fever.

These are basics of beekeeping, and nothing more.

Last edited:
If there are too much stores after winter, the most simple thing is to take those 2 extra frames off. That is not a miracle.

There is a danger that if the colony has not enough laying space, it gets very early swarming fever.

These are basics of beekeeping, and nothing more.

:iagree:

Your bees sound like they're in a good situation (better to have far too much stores than not quite enough).
As for stores being too crystallized - I find a light spray of water over the frame encorages the bees to clear the cells. Obviously this can only be done when it's a bit warmer.

As for stores being too crystallized - I find a light spray of water over the frame encorages the bees to clear the cells. Obviously this can only be done when it's a bit warmer.

I have those combs more or less in super store room. As you say, it is easy to spray water on crystalls and bees clean cells. I do this when hives have supers.
It must be some place where bees move the honey, but not brood combs.

(better to have far too much stores than not quite enough).

Plenty of stores is ok in early spring but later when broofing expands, I keep enough food and not more.

2 box hive needs 2 full comb of stores for bad weathers. My experience is that it is enough.
Then some day in summer I put those 2 frames in the middle of brood area and bees clean them.

Yes, recycling extra winter food is one of the basic jobs in beekeeping. And recycle crystallized honey is one job. No need to ruin spring build up with them.

2 box hive needs 2 full comb of stores for bad weathers. My experience is that it is enough.

That seems to be the common recommendation for one box nationals here, no wonder the country suffers from early swarming!

Surprising how fast colonies go through stores once the weather warms up.

Here at end of March/beginning of April 6-8 frames of brood, 15-20 days later 12-15 frames of brood.. Stores melt as snow..
But if have some problem with stores, I just place in box below. They clean it very, very fast.

Latest posts

Back