Hives on allotments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my experience was a sympathetic and supportive allotments officer (or so he claimed in his letter) who was anything but when problems arose.
the terms and conditions of the allotment agreement allowed for bees (livestock) to be kept but with permission, which unfortunately I hadn't obtained as I expected it to be a short term arrangement. Maybe if I'd had the council's permission in writing they would have defended the bees more? Worth securing though and if anyone has allotment bees it might be nice to have a piece of paper if things go pear shaped :)

kronkie . heres a tip for you most councils because they are lazy use the national allotment holders society rules as there base set of rules and aggrements and in such paper work it states that animals can be kept such as rabbits, chickens, ducks and bees, basicly no cloven hoof and no geese because they are so noisey try asking the counil what they rules are.

you might find that the no comes from them being worried about being sued, so get the allotment and then once your in then work on them to allow the bees in site

The alottment mine are on, although Council owned, they are administered by the committee.

A Concil inpector comes from time to time, and all he's concerned with is that the plots are being used and in good order.

I have an agreement (with the Secretary) that if they ever become a problem, I will move them.

I do have a farmer who will let me use a field to put the hives.

kronkie . heres a tip for you most councils because they are lazy use the national allotment holders society rules as there base set of rules and aggrements and in such paper work it states that animals can be kept such as rabbits, chickens, ducks and bees, basicly no cloven hoof and no geese because they are so noisey try asking the counil what they rules are.

erm, as a right, you can keep chickens (12) and/or rabbits (12) on an allotment site (section 12, allotments act 1950)
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Hens and Rabbits on Allotment Plots.pdf

bees or any other livestock can only be kept with the permission of the land-owner.
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Bees.pdf

rgds, Tony, General Secretary, Great Yarmouth & Gorleston Allotments Association Ltd. (possibly Englands largest land-owning association, with 62.5 acres, 14 sites, 1,000 plots)
affiliated to R.H.S. and to N.S.A.L.G.

Generally I think "Livestock" are domesticated animals. You can't say that about bees.

With or without a resident beek, bees can take up residence on an alottment all by themselves.

I think the powers that be interpret the rules as they go along.

Now into my second year of bees on an allotment. My advice is to be one step ahead.

I canvassed all plot holders forst, who were all in favour.

Mine is a council owned plot, so I then approached the council.

They were reluctant at first doing the "livestock" debate.
I emphasised the "green" aspects, assured them that I was BBKA member, covered by their insurance.

Council still worried about suitability of site. I knew it was ideal from the bees point of view, and also for public, as it was situated in corner of the entire site, well away from public thoroughfare etc. I printed off satelite view from Google maps for them and that clinched it.

First year went well, lots of interst from other plot holders, even asked to give bee talk at local school, who have a plot on the site.

In summary be prepared, anticipating the pros and cons, before you make the next approach.

Have fun

I found both the Council and the Allotment Holders to all be quite excited about having their own Bees to pollinate their crops.
The only negative I received was from a fellow Bee Keeper who objected to me invading his 'Patch'
Turns out other Bee keepers have had problems with the guy as well.
Fortunately there are several Allotment sites scattered across the city and Iwas able to site my Bees on one of the others.

Usually incorrectly......

erm, as one of the 'powers that be', I actually resent that remark!!

all of our allotment association 'staff' ( committees, site secretaries, treasurer, general secretary) are volunteers, doing the best we can, with advice from both area representative and legal representative @ NSALG.

have you any specific issues with allotment mis-management, or are you just having a cheap jibe at allotment officers in general (of whom I've probably met quite a few more than you, at various allotment management training courses, all of whom seemed genuine folk)?

erm, as one of the 'powers that be', I actually resent that remark!!

No offence intended to any volunteer groups Tony but I believe the original remark of "powers that be" refer to the council officials who actually say yes or no and not to a group such as you represent. , I'm sure your work is worthwhile althought its about time that you got people to tidy up those er "sheds".

if you mean the ones beside the by-pass, opposite tescos, they are all 'private allotments', and nothing to do with us!!

Latest posts

Back