Hives on allotments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and beekeeping but I thought I would pass on this piece of information.

I did my course last year with the local bee group and I have got myself a mentor.

I intend to site my hive/s on my allotment this year. I had already approached my fellow allotment holders and they were very keen. I contacted our site rep and he is 100% behind me as he is doing his course later this year and also intends to put hives on his allotment.

Now for the main point I contacted the allotment committee to get permission and was overwhelmed by the response, namely that they were all for it as the national Allotment Association is encouraging bee hives.

I thought it would be good to pass on some encouraging news!

Regards
Michael

Well done.

Good luck and welcome.

I have 3 WBC's on my alottment, most people are very happy with them being there, and are very interested, always asking how they are doing.

Be open with the other alottment holders and be prepared to answer a million questions.

I often sit by the hives with a cuppa if the weather is good, (no bee suit) just reassure any fearful folk that they are really quite friendly.

ive got hives on two allotment sites and have nothing but good feedback as well as other allotmenteers wanting hives on their plots.

I have some Hives on Allotments too.
I am not an Allotment Holder though.
Many of the Allotment Holders have purchased honey from me.
And yes be prepared to answer a million questions

As general secretary of our local allotments association, all our association asks is that potential beekeepers have insurance, training, alternative site (if bees turn nasty), a bee-buddy who can look after their bees if they aren't available, and phone numbers must be given to site secretary for emergency contact (vandalism, fire, swarming, etc).

Tony

I've had mixed experiences - we moved 3 colonies to our allotment last April, attracted lots of positive support from other allotment holders and all the neighbours, who were enthusiastic (i was often stopped by neighbours pleased that they'd rescued 'one of our bees' from a puddle) We congratulated ourselves too soon. A disastrous week in late May saw swarms, all of which we responded to promptly and safely, but, I think in retrospect, made the mistake of advising the neighbours to stay indoors while the bees were dealt with. Having raised people's fears, I wasn't surprised to receive a letter from the allotments person from the council giving us 10 days to remove the hives due to complaints.
I don't know who complained but I think it only needed one problem for everyone's enthusiasm to vanish. No-one was stung and no-one wanted to say anything directly to me but it's worth considering that you won't be able to guarantee no stings or swarms. Unfortunately, that means the first child stung by a wasp will result in the parents blaming you personally... sorry if I sound bitter but it did annoy me at the time.
I'll try again though!

I don't guarantee no stings, but then I don't know if mine have ever stung. How would they know anyway?

I suppose its "Guilty by association"

Better luck next time.

mine are at my allotment and as such i am held responsible for ever bee sting, wasp sting, bumble bee attack and any thing that flys that causes problems up to and including dumbo the elephant bee in any part of the west midlands

99.99% or all general public do not know what a bee looks likethe amount of times i have been dragged to the other side of the allotments to deal with a swarm to find 8 bumble bees on a flowering shrub is unreal, and if there is any cottonester in the area i will quarente that they will be covered in YOUR SWARMS ten times next year

and a swam to everyone else on the planet is more than six bees flying in the same direction, and when this swarm is seen you will be called at work and exspected to turn up straight away so you can lasso the said bees and put them back in the hive

wasp nests under sheds and in the ground are also your problem too. i have even been told that my nats are chasing people around the allotment.

EVERYONE LOVES YOU BECAUSE THEY ALL WANT A JAR OF FREE HONEY NEXT WEEK, everyone has a tap on the side of the hive where you can fill a jar in an instant, if you were to tell them to wait till august they then get stroppy because you are hiding the honey from them.

you had better get some insurance cover to so you can cover the legal back side of the committy/council/allotment trust/who ever is in control

apart from all of that keeping bees at the allotment is great for me and i would say for everyone to try it if you can

"99.99% or all general public do not know what a bee looks like"

not helped by the BBC who always show a picture/film clip of a bumblebee when featuring honeybee stories.

I had two allotment holders inform me they had been stung last year by one of my Bees!
As I was uncertain how to deal with this I told them
"I was sorry to hear that." and told them "I would have a word with the Bees"
They both just laughed at me, but in a nice way.

I helped get rid of several wasp nests, which seem to be a big problem on Allotments. I guess its all the fruit that is grown their.

So last season I was a goodie
Lets hope this season is as friendly :)

I take on board everyones comments.

Thankfully I am on an allotment which is isolated from the main ones and there are only a couple of other plots on the same site.

I understand that I will have 3rd party insurance through the group included in my membership.

Regards
Michael

Not seen it posted within this thread but does the BBKA membership insurance cover you?

Pete, there's a modified WBC format for help youself allotment use, probably needs a supporting video knocked up to help the conversion of nationals though. I am sure an honesty box would fill up as quickly as my mates compost box empties by itself - but then compost boxes can't defend themselves - bees on the other hand ... ;)

Last edited:
I have 3 WBC's, where do I get the tap, is it a diy job or do I need an experienced plumber?

I asked the local council(Southampton) about the avalability of allotments and in the conversation mentioned the fact that I would like to put some bee hives on them and got a very definate NO.
Looks to me that a lot of you have comitted councils to the green issues where as mine are not.

I asked the local council(Southampton) about the avalability of allotments and in the conversation mentioned the fact that I would like to put some bee hives on them and got a very definate NO.
Looks to me that a lot of you have comitted councils to the green issues where as mine are not.

Nothing to do with the council. Although the council owns the land, I am in a society (check out for Southampton).

The leases (just renewed in December excluded all livestock, but I made a case that bees are not in law livestock in the same way as pigs and cows, etc, and they agreed immediately to an exception, as the wording was generic.

You should go back to the council and ask someone else to put you on thew list and send you a list of the rules, asking about livestock. If there is the same response, it may be they do not allow any kind of animal (some fear neglect or cruelty being perpetrated on their land).

In fact, kronkie, I have just googled an allotment society in Southampton and the website shows they have chickens, so you might find them more receptive.

I'll PM you the details.

The BBKA web site states,

"BBKA has an insurance policy that covers individual beekeepers, who are members of the BBKA (whether joining as individual members, or as registered or partner members of their local association that is in turn a member of the BBKA.

The Public Liability relates to beekeeping activities of those members noted above in the UK and has a £5,000,000 limit of liability.

A notice of cover is available for members attending farmers markets etc., where proof of cover is required.

The Public Liability insurance also covers officers of branches and associations undertaking their activities in connection with their group.

In addition the insurance covers product liability up to £5,000,000."

but rest assured I will make sure I am covered!

Latest posts

Back