Hives near sub station

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillfish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am moving to France next year and will be starting up afresh. On our land we have an electricity sub station near to the area I would like to site the hives - does anyone have any idea if siting the hives near a sub station could affect the bees behaviour? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.not worthy

Don't block access for maintenance.

My most consistent and high achieving heather location is at a place called Coil a Creich. near Ballater in Aberdeenshire. It is known by my staff as 'Electricity place' as the pallets are in close proximity to a sub station. Zero noticeable effect, no ill temper, no drifting problems. Usually 50 to 70 hives there.

One of my bees lowland locations is actually inside the legs of a very large high voltage pylon. This has been raised many times before. Again, no negative issues whatsoever. We winter about 50 under the pylon, leaving about 20 to work the flora in the area for spring and early summer prior to the heather migration.

The quoted study in the thread is nothing to do with sub stations or power lines, more to do with mobile phone networks. Have some sites right beside base staions for those too. No ill effects. The bees do just as well.....or badly if 2012.............as anywhere else.

gillfish - Do you actually mean a sub station?

These are usually very large in France and on their own land due to the very high voltages involved.

Chris

That's great, thanks for advice and information. Really useful, think I will give it a go!

Latest posts

Back