Hives in gardens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with moving my TBH would be making sure you have a vehicle large enough and a helper for lifting. Just pop the corks into the entrance holes and lift. (Assuming of course you have closed it up when the bees aren't flying).

If I had to transport my TBHs, corks in, straps down bars, lift onto pickup borrowed for occasion.

Peace of cake.. no worse than moving a garden bench..

Thats one of the other things we have, as responsible beekeepers - and epipen in case a visitor to our house or a neighbour gets stung and goes into shock.

I think you will find a epipen pen should only be used on the person it has been prescribed to, there has been a few threads on here covering that subject

I also keep bees in my garden but I also have out apiaries
I have most of nuc's in the garden and do most of my queen rearing (well try to)
I would say I have encountered a aggresives hive hundreds of stings over my suit and bees following and stinging to well over 500 yards away not nice at all, what ever the OP decides I would say pick a site that you are going to be comfortable with that will let you learn beekeeping without any other issues that may or may note occure

:iagree: well personally i would not treat a visitor with epi pen unless it was their epipen and then i would only do it whilst on the phone to paramedics. it is a drug and should only be used for the person prescribed.

On the subject of bees in a garden, I have my hives at home as I have a good sized garden. My two dogs learnt on day one to stay back and have very few issues. Today I came home from work as normal when to feed sheep and chucks dogs out with me haveing a burn around but nowhere near the hives at least 10meters away. oldest girl comes over to me acting a bit silly, shaking head etc. then I can hear that frantic buzzing those suicide bombers make! poor thing had got herself stung by a random morning flight! Now its not an issue, I just take the sting out and make sure I watch her for a few hours to make sure she is ok, but my point is if I didnt keep bees, but my neighbour did and my dog sustained maybe half a dozen stings a year I would probably get a bit annoyed. The same as my neighbour would if my dog got into his garden and peed on his hives.

I think keeping bees in gardens is fine, but I wasnt aware of issues that could arrise the same as someone else said all i had seen was nice quite hives opened with no problem. The same as I didnt realise that although I only wanted one colony that doesnt happen;) Keep bees at home by all meens but have somewhere you can move them immediately if there is a problem

Thats one of the other things we have, as responsible beekeepers - and epipen in case a visitor to our house or a neighbour gets stung and goes into shock.

In my Book that make you a Nutter, Not "responsible beekeepers". You're more likely to kill someone using an Epipen on them when its not been prescribed for them.

In my Book that make you a Nutter, Not "responsible beekeepers". You're more likely to kill someone using an Epipen on them when its not been prescribed for them.
We've been here before !
I think you over dramatise a tad :)
As stated previously .'If a person is dying before your eyes and medical help is too far away ,then the use of the epipen is the persons only hope of a stay of execution . The risk factor is of little consequence to a dying man!'
If the use of an epipen was more likely to kill than to buy the time it was designed for I think the courts would be working shift work to clear the backlog of compensation cases :willy_nilly:
I could be as silly as you by advising people not to scale a wall to escape an inferno as there was a strong possibility that he/she may bark his/her shins and indeed is more likely to break their neck clearing the wall than to escape death by combustion .

Reasoned action will help. dodging the column certainly wont!
VM

I couldn't agree more. When I did my last "First Aid at work" certificate (admittedly a number of years ago now. We were told we must not administer an epipen (even one belonging to the person) unless we had been trained, there was then a separate short training session after the course finished.

I am not saying that if you are concerned for the life of a person with an epipen you shouldn't administer it BUT (and IMO it is a big but) in this litigious age there may be very serious consequences. So as far as I am concerned using an epipen on somebody it wasn't prescribed for is a big no no.

I suggest your garden is far too small to accommodate hives safely. If anyone ever gets stung you will be the one they blame. The bees are bound to be stroppy from time to time, and they will spoil your enjoyment of the garden. Try to find a nearby out-apairy bfore you start beekeeping.

We've been here before !
I think you over dramatise a tad :)
As stated previously .'If a person is dying before your eyes and medical help is too far away ,then the use of the epipen is the persons only hope of a stay of execution . The risk factor is of little consequence to a dying man!'
If the use of an epipen was more likely to kill than to buy the time it was designed for I think the courts would be working shift work to clear the backlog of compensation cases :willy_nilly:
I could be as silly as you by advising people not to scale a wall to escape an inferno as there was a strong possibility that he/she may bark his/her shins and indeed is more likely to break their neck clearing the wall than to escape death by combustion .

Reasoned action will help. dodging the column certainly wont!
VM

How qualified are you to say he is dying?

My doctor told me NOT to use MY Epipen on ANYONE even if i thought they were dying. His words not mine. So if thats what an expert has to say about them, who am i to argue.

Last edited:
How qualified are you to say he is dying?

You silly silly man! What lengths are you prepared to go to to win a point?
Are you suggesting only a qualified person can decide when someone is facing imminent death ?
Are you suggesting CPR is to be with held from a person in his death throws until a person waving a certificate appears over the horizon ?Or is a 'qualification' requirement only necessary for the purposes of your protracted argument ?
Even though I've ended my post with questions I don't expect a response and indeed won't respond , period :seeya:
VM

Garden Bees and Epipens

I suggest your garden is far too small to accommodate hives safely. If anyone ever gets stung you will be the one they blame. The bees are bound to be stroppy from time to time, and they will spoil your enjoyment of the garden. Try to find a nearby out-apairy bfore you start beekeeping.
Couldn't agree more!.....I have seen so many threads from Newbees on this site saying how angelic, gentle and friendly their bees are. Possibly so, but with such a small plot you are really asking for trouble because hive temperament can quickly deteriorate for all sorts of reasons and I am sure that you would not want to endanger neighbours and others closeby.

.....Re. EPIPEN: Earlier this month I had two appointments with a Consultant Immunologist as my bee sting reactions have been worsening. Initially he felt an epipen unnecessary. However, having received the results of my RAST and other blood tests he immediately wrote to my referring GP informing him that if I wanted to continue bee-keeping I should be prescribed an epipen and prednisilone (steroid) tablets. He subsequently went to great lengths to explain how to use the epipen and warned me that on no account should I use it on another person, his words were along the lines of "there is a very great danger of such action doing much more harm than good!" I also mentioned to the Consultant that I had read that some beekeepers had managed to obtain an epipen from their everyday GP "just in case". He was quite taken aback and said he would never recommend the prescribing of such serious medication without a full review of current patient medications, general state of health and appropriate blood tests....Just my informed four penn'orth !

Are you suggesting only a qualified person can decide when someone is facing imminent death ?
Are you suggesting CPR is to be with held from a person in his death throws until a person waving a certificate appears over the horizon ?Or is a 'qualification' requirement only necessary for the purposes of your protracted argument ?
Even though I've ended my post with questions I don't expect a response and indeed won't respond , period :seeya:
VM

I don't know the wrights and wrongs in the use of a epipen pen to someone it's was not prescribed to all I can say is one's mans medication is another mans poison

well, if I was in the situation where someone was dying, and the ambulance was on way, but going to be ages, I'd speak to paramedic for their advice, before using an epipen, just my 2p worth

VM

:iagree:
There is always this tosh spoken about being sued for administering first aid
the blood sucking parasites (sorry - where there's blame there's a claim merchants) wouldn't bother suing joe Bloggs as he doesn't have hundreds of thousands to pay compensation for them to have their pound of flesh from.
I've had to do loads of first aid courses over the years including first aid on board (remember ambulances struggle to get to you when you're off land's end) and one thing that's always drummed into us is the greater good of the patient - if he's not breathing and you need to turn him on his back to save his life are you going to refuse and leave him die in case he has a back/neck injury? no, if the casualty is in a fire are you going to leave him there until you're 100% certain you've assesed him and he's fit to move? no, you'd get him to a safe place and then assess - same would apply to epipens as a last resort

Bloomin heck - one person mentiones they were planning on keeping a hive in their garden, and they get few sensible warning posts (and this forum IS for giving advise) and all of a sudden WWII breaks out!:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill::chillpill: :chillpill:

Maybe it's not just the bees that get tetchy at this time of year - have been apiguarding the BKA apiary this morning obviously thymol gets to me as well
Just had a row off the wife for hanging around outside the front door all afternoon!! :D

:iagree:
There is always this tosh spoken about being sued for administering first aid
the blood sucking parasites (sorry - where there's blame there's a claim merchants) wouldn't bother suing joe Bloggs as he doesn't have hundreds of thousands to pay compensation for them to have their pound of flesh from.
I've had to do loads of first aid courses over the years including first aid on board (remember ambulances struggle to get to you when you're off land's end) and one thing that's always drummed into us is the greater good of the patient - if he's not breathing and you need to turn him on his back to save his life are you going to refuse and leave him die in case he has a back/neck injury? no, if the casualty is in a fire are you going to leave him there until you're 100% certain you've assesed him and he's fit to move? no, you'd get him to a safe place and then assess - same would apply to epipens as a last resort

I have been a first aider at work for over 25 years and seen a lot of changes on how to treat people, if you saw someone unconscious on the floor not breathing, what would you do start giving mouth to mouth straight away if you were the only person there , no go and ring for help first and go back yes they might be dead when you get back to them
If I had a epipen to hand and someone needed it would I use it yes I would if I thought it was the right thing to do
On this forum would not tell someone else to do that no it's down to their pesonal choice what to do and back to the OP would I keep bees in a garden yes I would. would it suit everyone one no it would not

VM

Vic Take a chill pill!

If i had an asthma attack after being stung by a bee, Could you tell the difference between me gasping for my last breath in an asthma attack and being Gasping for breath due to analytic shock?

And as i believe it, you should NOT give CPR unless someone is dead! So yeah with hold the CPR as your not meant to revive the living!

....Re. EPIPEN: Earlier this month I had two appointments with a Consultant Immunologist as my bee sting reactions have been worsening. Initially he felt an epipen unnecessary. However, having received the results of my RAST and other blood tests he immediately wrote to my referring GP informing him that if I wanted to continue bee-keeping I should be prescribed an epipen and prednisilone (steroid) tablets. ...

Just my informed four penn'orth !
{Hijack of a hijack - sorry, but wow!}

Prednisolone? !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It is a bit of a clinical sledgehammer! Take it and you have to carry a 'steroid' card and for the next 12 months any doctor you consult must be told about the steroids you have taken.
The aged parent was put on this exact stuff for a kidney complaint {medics: FSGS, a condition many failed to diagnose}.
This medicine has a bookful of side-effects.
This is just one example of many:
A wide range of psychiatric reactions including affective disorders (such as irritable, euphoric, depressed and labile mood, and suicidal thoughts), psychotic reactions (including mania, delusions, hallucinations, and aggravation of schizophrenia), behavioural disturbances, irritability, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and cognitive dysfunction including confusion and amnesia have been reported. Reactions are common and may occur in both adults and children. In adults, the frequency of severe reactions has been estimated to be 5-6%. Psychological effects have been reported on withdrawal of corticosteroids; the frequency is unknown.
Got that? A 1 in 20 chance of severe "psychiatric reaction". To a bee-sting anti-swelling treatment!
Check the patient info leaflet (in the pack), and the 'Summary of Product Characteristics' looking particularly at section 4.3 onwards - its online at http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/19308/SPC/Deltacortril+Gastro-resistant+Tablets/ (from which the above quote is taken)
It even opens you up to infections and diseases - chickenpox becomes deadly serious.
This REALLY is heavy-duty medication.
I'm frankly gob-smacked to learn that it is prescribed for severe swellings from stings.
And stunned that it should be handed out in advance "in case of a sting".

If your reaction to stings is very strong, maybe a course of desensitisation therapy might be called for.
http://www.insectstings.co.uk/immunotherapy.shtml
And that has to be WAY more preferable than ANY involvement with Prednisolone.
Well worth asking about a 'cure' rather than a decidedly nasty treatment of a potential symptom.

/ hijack

Last edited:
{Hijack of a hijack - sorry, but wow!}

Prednisolone? !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It is a bit of a clinical sledgehammer! Take it and you have to carry a 'steroid' card
Not necessarily. Steroids can in immune suppressant doses render you susceptible to infection, yes. If you take such doses for a long time they suppress the body's ability to make its own cortisone so sudden withdrawal of medication can plunge you into an Addisonian type crisis which can be fatal. I would imagine taking prednisolone for an allergy would involve much lower doses taken on an ad hoc basis. BUT I might be wrong and I'm sure our resident pathologist might be along soon with a correction

Latest posts

Back