Hive staples

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a few of the polynucs come with moulded floors anyway.

Anyone any experience of the toggle fastners, you see them on alot of american hives. https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1730

Polynuc as material does not stand this kind of screwing or nailing. And it is not needed. You only ruin boxes.

If the floor is wood, hit 3 small nails into border wood and cut them to spices.
Then box and floor stays together. You need then only rubber string to keep the nuc together.

In normal boxes loading belts are best. But if surfaces are slippy, put pieces of comb to add friction.

Last edited:
I don’t understand any need for attaching the floors with staples while the bees are in residence.

There are lots of circumstances where this happens. We can get quite familiar with the Polish word 'kurwa' when less than skilled people try to tip or lift a hive to strap it and the floor and brood box part company.....intemperate language of several hues can be heard.

We quite often change the bottom box in the field. No point in stapling it up before shifting time as it often needs rotating more than once. Last visit before moving, or even once they have been closed in.

But after all, moving hives is not so difficult. And life teaches more when you do it.

Moving hives is adults' job. Children cannot move them.

Last edited:
Polynuc as material ... ... You only ruin boxes

Piffle! You clearly don’t know how to do it effectively. Mine are all good (no damage, not ruined) after several years.

There are lots of circumstances where this happens. We can get quite familiar with the Polish word 'kurwa' when less than skilled people try to tip or lift a hive to strap it and the floor and brood box part company.....intemperate language of several hues can be heard.

We quite often change the bottom box in the field. No point in stapling it up before shifting time as it often needs rotating more than once. Last visit before moving, or even once they have been closed in.

One poster said they leave them stapled for perpetuity? Can’t speak for dumdums. Not sure why OMFs would need turning. Langstroths will only turn 180 degrees. Change floor and box together?

Plenty of alternatives for the hobby beekeeper!

:sorry:
Polynuc as material ... ... You only ruin boxes

Piffle! You clearly don’t know how to do it effectively. Mine are all good (no damage, not ruined) after several years.
!

Really!!!

I have moved polyhives more than you will ever do. And I do it alone. A 100 kg hive changes its place as fast as 20 kg hive.

Effectively... What is that? ... Floors stay in their place. What else it should be.

Beekeeping is not that difficult. But do as you will.

I have many kind of damages in polyhives after 30 years. They are not like new.

Last edited:

Or when you slide the hive across the truck bed, and it comes loose.

For example, if I move a 8 box hive, I split it so that I can lift boxes to the carry.

I have 3 piles then in the carry and should I have stables in every pile? Never needed.

One poster said they leave them stapled for perpetuity? Can’t speak for dumdums. Not sure why OMFs would need turning. Langstroths will only turn 180 degrees. Change floor and box together?

Not the kind of 'rotating' I mean. As in crop rotation....management strategies, of which we use more than one, often needs a full 'new' box placed on the floor then the queen and a single (or up to 3) bar of young brood placed in it before the old nest is raised up the hive, either above a flight board for a split or simply to the top of the hive as a simple swarm control variant of Demaree. It is MUCH faster to do the whole boxes rather than moving each comb in turn.

I also clearly stated that this is in wooden type hives. They do not have OMF's in our unit, those being almost entirely in our poly units.

Back