Hive protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donks87l

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I got a hive that's protected by what I think is a either wax exterior or some sort of rub similar. It was a hive I was gifted new so not to sure. My question is what do people treat them with? The dove tail joints are bare so will need something come winter. But I know normal paint won't work for the rest of the hive?

Could be anything…there’s some wax dipped hive’s available and some use oils. If it repels water all good inc joints and end grain.

Its mainly the exposed ends that will need some thing, but also what to protect it before next winter

The wood is from old wooden lockers, two pieces glued together and just over 300mm wide so great for brood boxes.
The wood is some type of pine as it has a number of knots but they seem pretty flat and stable, unlike more modern timber. So far I've made three stands, four floors with slides, four brood boxes six supers, four crown boards and three roofs.

Joints are comb/finger joints (straight sided not sloping like dovetails) cut using my homemade machine router table.
Very important to treat the end grain of timber as this is most likely area to take in moisture.

Joints are comb/finger joints (straight sided not sloping like dovetails) cut using my homemade machine router table.
Very important to treat the end grain of timber as this is most likely area to take in moisture.
Yes that is my question , but what with that matches in

Latest posts

Back