Hive design suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdixon520

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone,

Currently working on a project to design a plastic beehive. What innovation or features would you like to see implemented in its design? All suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27995

Did it not get well-aired just three months ago? It was your thread.

Many have tried to re-invent the wheel; most have failed.

Just look at all the plastic designs out there. Swinty, bhive supps, pradise farm, pains , abeeelo, others - and don't forget the beetainer by omlette. You might be able to improve on some, but not much and I doubt so much improvement is possible.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27995

Did it not get well-aired just three months ago? It was your thread.

Many have tried to re-invent the wheel; most have failed.

Just look at all the plastic designs out there. Swinty, bhive supps, pradise farm, pains , abeeelo, others - and don't forget the beetainer by omlette. You might be able to improve on some, but not much and I doubt so much improvement is possible.
I know I asked the question before just thought I'd ask again in case there's anything else anyone has come up with. Apologies for the repetition of the thread oliver90owner

Most Plastics are not exactly environmentally friendly and many beekeepers want to work with nature not against it. Wood has stood the test of time. I still have wooden National beehives I first bought over 40 years ago I doubt if plastic ones would last that long ( I also have a WBC I bought second hand in 1959)

Most Plastics are not exactly environmentally friendly and many beekeepers want to work with nature not against it. Wood has stood the test of time. I still have wooden National beehives I first bought over 40 years ago I doubt if plastic ones would last that long ( I also have a WBC I bought second hand in 1959)

Poly hives made in the 1980s are still in use in Finland....

The problem with plastic could be condensation and raised levels of humidity. Prolonged testing of the design to overcome this issue may be required

I would be concerned about longevity in relation to break down by UV as well.

Plastic doesn't sit well with my green side, either.

Latest posts

Back