Design technology A-level design ideas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgia17364293

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all,
For my design technology NEA i am thinking of doing a beehive carrier, to help all my fellow beekeepers when transporting hives for example when catching a swarm or even just wanting to relocate a hive. Would anyone be able to give me feedback on this and whether you believe the product would be marketable?
Is this a problem that you struggle with in your beekeeping ?

Two loops of rope and two stout broom handles. Lets you carry the hive easily over rough ground if there are two of you. Bouncing a box full of bees on a two or four wheeled trolly causes problems. You can make a barrow truck on a wheelbarrow chassis with one wheel which is more forgiving.
Swarms are often popped into smaller boxes and can simply be carried.
It’s not generally a problem. Beekeepers are an ingenious lot and not likely to pay for a commercial version
There you are your project is done in a few sentences.
Others might disagree.

Two loops of rope and two stout broom handles. Lets you carry the hive easily over rough ground if there are two of you. Bouncing a box full of bees on a two or four wheeled trolly causes problems. You can make a barrow truck in a wheelbarrow chassis with one wheel which is more forgiving.
Others might disagree.
I found a Land Rover quite satisfactory 👍

Two loops of rope and two stout broom handles. Lets you carry the hive easily over rough ground if there are two of you. Bouncing a box full of bees on a two or four wheeled trolly causes problems. You can make a barrow truck on a wheelbarrow chassis with one wheel which is more forgiving.
It’s not generally a problem. Beekeepers are an ingenious lot and not likely to pay for a commercial version
Others might disagree.
I think I agree with you Dani. The most useful carrier I have come across is as you say a single wheel barrow chassis adapted to carry a hive.
Most of the main suppliers sell them at a cost but they can be made for peanuts if you have a big of common sense.

Beekeepers are an ingenious lot and not likely to pay for a commercial version
:iagree:
And there are quite a few commercial 'solutions' out there already, Thornes do a type of wheelbarow frame (I saw the Basterfields demonstrate one they designed themselves years ago) that just hooks on to the sides of a National hive, and away you go. after various trials and prototypes, I find a wheelbarrow chassis and a plastic bread 'basket' does the trick perfectlybarrow.jpgbarrow3.jpgbarrow4.jpg

I would suggest the bigger problem is picking up a full hive and moving it 3 feet. For example if you need to work a caught swarm back into the apiary. Hives can be bulky, awkward and heavy, particularly if you are working alone.Imagine a device that could be positioned under the stand, lift the hive, moved on wheels and lowered into new position. I could see a need for that.

I would suggest the bigger problem is picking up a full hive and moving it 3 feet. For example if you need to work a caught swarm back into the apiary. Hives can be bulky, awkward and heavy, particularly if you are working alone.Imagine a device that could be positioned under the stand, lift the hive, moved on wheels and lowered into new position. I could see a need for that.
If I want to move a hive within an apiary I use one of my hive barrows that I designed to have a horizontal support when at rest. This means I can move it 3’ per day and every time I stop the hive is level.

Carp fishing trolley £10 from boot sale. Perfect for the job and dismantles for easy transportation. Don't think I could have designed anything better.

Hi all,
For my design technology NEA i am thinking of doing a beehive carrier, to help all my fellow beekeepers when transporting hives for example when catching a swarm or even just wanting to relocate a hive. Would anyone be able to give me feedback on this and whether you believe the product would be marketable?
Is this a problem that you struggle with in your beekeeping ?
Hello Georgia
The hive carrier I use is a two-man job and great for moving a hive over short distances. I place the carrier over the hive so that the lugs fit under the cross-piece each side of the hive body. I then harness my wife to one end and off we go!
You will probably feel from these posts that the design possibilities are fairly saturated but maybe you have the genius to design something revolutionary! Good luck.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/hardware-clothing/hive-hardware/moving/hive-carrier.html

Rather than a carrier, something to lift hives over fences and locked gates would be useful, possibly along the lines of an old fashioned A-frame pulley lift thingy. Some of my sites are less accessible such as for heather and lifting a full hive +/- supers over gates can be slightly fraught.

Wrote something and then realised this was an old post!

Rather than a carrier, something to lift hives over fences and locked gates would be useful, possibly along the lines of an old fashioned A-frame pulley lift thingy. Some of my sites are less accessible such as for heather and lifting a full hive +/- supers over gates can be slightly fraught.
Would be great for thievery :)

Hedges, gates other obstructions won't stand in the way of the right gear. Try a tracked military crane. Not much will stand in the way and hive weight won't bother it at all. 😁

Carp fishing trolley
Yes, good for taking in the vehicle, though a trolley with 4 wheels gives a rough ride on uneven ground. Single wheel is ideal, as JBM described.

At the farm I have a Geest banana trolley which has a single wheel and a 1.5m.flat bed. If you come across one, get it.

Latest posts

Back